Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 6 of Construction

The stall "walls" are constructed.  Having my husband in the picture gives a good perspective on how large the stalls and hay barn are.

The contractor is a whiz at welding.  This is not a kit, but totally custom.  I was expecting him to buy pre-manufactured gates and install them, but he's making them from scratch.

He showed me how I can open the gate outward into the aisle of the barn, but it won't swing open all the way.  Or I can swing the gate inward to the stall, and it will push up flush against the wall, then I can tie it down and let the horses go in and out as needed.

They finished attaching the fence to the barn on one side.

This is the zig-zag route that truck drivers have to take to get in and out of the paddock.  We've had so many trucks coming and going that they've worn a good path.

We did run into another snag with the construction that is going to delay finishing the project by another day or two. The contractor told the engineer who put together the plans what size roof beams he wanted to use, and apparently the engineer didn't listen, didn't agree, or forgot, because he put a much bigger roof beam size into the equation. The construction crew bought the materials and then saw the discrepancy with the plans. So, now they can't raise the roof without first getting permission from the county to change the plans.

If the county inspector says that they have to stick to the engineering plan, I will go way over my budget and have to dip into my retirement savings, which is really frustrating. I had made up my mind that if building a horse facility cost more than we can afford, I was just going to sell the horses and take up knitting. Unfortunately, the way things went, no one knew the county would screw us this way. I'm beginning to suspect that the engineer did overkill on the barn so that the county could value the building for more and tax us more.

I really just want all of this to end.  I've been waiting a long time to move my horses to a place that is peaceful and quiet, and each extra day I have to wait is agonizing.  This has been a hard month with good news following bad news following good news...  It seems I can't even celebrate the good news before more bad news is dropped in my lap, so I'm trying to just remain neutral in my reaction to everything. 

The good news it that I talked with the neighbor to the north, and he said that the construction hasn't bothered him, because he leaves for work when they arrive, and they leave when he comes home from work.  He also offered to board my horses next door if the barn doesn't get built before my board runs out at the end of the month at their current barn.

Also, when we moved into this house there were no knobs or handles on the kitchen, bathroom or laundry room cabinets, so I've been bending a lot of fingernails backwards opening drawers and cabinets.  These are fairly heavy with that snap back / self-closing action.  This weekend we bought some hardware and my husband has been installing it, so now I can experience a little less pain in my day-to-day activities.



9 comments:

Mikey said...

I just love seeing it come along. Wondering if you're going to paint it?
I debate about painting mine. We are STILL, after 3 yrs, arguing about the house color. Then depending on that, I will paint my fences and barn. But I can never decide, a stark white, a desert beige... bright pink is out, according to Wade, lol. I suppose that would look weird.
Boy you're going to have such good space for the kids though. They're going to love it!!
Glad Midge is a bit better. I need to get a blacklight too, that sounds very interesting. I've never looked for scorpions. I'm scared of what I might find.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Mikey - I kind of like how the brown blends into the landscape and natural surroundings. It feels unobtrusive. My husband is already talking about painting it white, but once you paint it, the paint starts scratching and flaking off, and then you have to keep painting it to prevent it from looking crappy. I'd rather keep it au natural and use my time doing other things.

Reddunappy said...

Lookin good!
Custom work! Wow
Nice big stalls!
Pipe fence isnt used for much more than gates up here in the wet!! LOL They would probably rust to fast! Even with paint.
Wanted to ride today, but the ground is to wet, rained hard this morning. sigh....

Reddunappy said...

OH! LOL and our barns have to have WALLS LOL or they would be solid mud inside too!!

Paint Girl said...

Looking good! Those are going to be nice sized stalls! The horses will love it all!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Our house doesn't have any knobs or handles on the cabinet doors either. But they do have a little indentation at the bottom corner of the cabinet doors for a finger hold. I wonder if no knobs/handles is a southwestern thing?

You're going to love saving money not having to buy shavings when your horses move in. Life is so much easier not having to scoop out shavings twice a day in stalls. Most stalls in New Mexico and Arizona tend to be dirt floors without the use of shavings or bedding.

I agree with you about keeping the fencing the rust color. Our fences are pipe railing and are that color and like you said it blends into the environment and is low maintenance, too.

~Lisa

fernvalley01 said...

Coming along nicely , good of the neighbor to offer to help, bet you aren't too used to good neighbors are you

lilyrose said...

It's looking great! I would leave the pipes au natural-the sun would bake the paint off every year. Too much extra work. The knobs look nice on your cabinets. Mine don't have knobs. We have fingerholds underneath instead. Nice of your neighbors to offer a temporary home for your horses if you need it! :)

achieve1dream said...

Yeah I wouldn't paint the fences either!

I'm unfamiliar with mare motels so I was wondering is it safe the way they have the walls? Will those be solid or left open like that? If the horse kicks at another horse could they not get a leg hung? Anyway just curious. :) I hope they get the roof figured out soon.

Oh and almost forgot to ask is the hay barn going to have walls all the way down? Will the hay not get wet when it rains? Or dusty in a dust storm? Again, just curious. It's so different there than in the east. :)