Friday, June 29, 2012

Homecoming

Guess who's finally home?

The barn owner gave me permission to pick them up as early as needed in order to avoid the heat.  My plan was to put Gabbrielle in the trailer first, then Bombay, since Gabbrielle is the best loader and Bombay the worst.  Plus there is a little more room in the second slot to help with Bombay's claustrophobia.

Then I was going to come back for Lostine.  If I had any serious problems, I was going to call Cut-N-Jump.

As I pulled into the parking lot at the boarding stable, I saw that I would be blocking a truck where I needed to put the trailer, but figured I could get the first two horses loaded before anyone came out of the house and needed to leave in the truck.  Wrong.

Gabbrielle refused to load.  She just kept looking back at Lostine and Bombay, refusing to leave them.  The driver of the truck came out and I moved Gabbrielle out of the way.  The driver was able to squeeze between my trailer, truck and the house.

I decided to put Gabbrielle away and bring out Lostine, who loaded with no problem.  We needed to get Bombay on board quick, because it was really hot and stuffy in that trailer.  I wanted to get moving to get some airflow through there.  Bombay had to go through his usual routine of pawing the trailer, getting halfway in and then jumping out, but he wasn't in a panic.  My husband and I took turns leading and putting pressure from behind with the horses.

Bombay did climb in after just a few minutes.  He was panicked while inside the trailer, because he recognized it as the place where he had all his previous panic attacks and bloodied himself up.  He kicked and stomped on the first couple of turns, but then settled down once he realized that it wasn't as bad as it had been in the past.  I was hauling with a new truck and braking system, which were much smoother than the old setup.

We got both horses to the barn without a single cut on their faces or legs.  Bombay did manage to pull the rubber mat up off the floorboard, though.  I fixed that, and returned to get Gabbrielle.

I could tell that Gabbrielle had been running circles ever since I left with her two buddies.  She visibly relaxed when she saw me come back, and loaded much more willingly.  I think her brain was able to make the jump that even though her buddies were not in the trailer, I would take her to the same place where I took them.

We were juggling several things at once, because our diabetic dog needed to be fed on time and get her insulin shot half an hour later, so we were trying to time bringing the horses home with that, and then we had to get some legal papers signed by a notary public by 9:00 AM.  I hate trailering horses when I'm under such time pressures, but there really was no better time.

Because of our rush, I forfeited putting boots on the horses since they made it all the way from Nevada to Arizona in a truck without boots and never injured themselves.  I think if they can feel their own hoof hitting their leg, they are less likely to keep kicking themselves, like they do when their legs are wrapped.  I also chose not to tie Bombay and Gabbrielle's heads, so that they would feel less restrained.  It worked out well.  I still had to tie Lostine's head, though, because she's always sticking her head and neck under the center divider, and I didn't want Bombay kicking her in the face.

We got Gabbrielle home without a single nick, as well.  At first we put them in separate stalls with hay, but Lostine was pacing and anxious to explore her new surroundings, so I opened all the stall gates and cut them loose.  They spotted the neighbor's horses and made a beeline for the fence closest to the other horses.  Then they traveled in a single-file line with Lostine in the lead around the perimeter of the property.

Lostine searched for a soft spot without rocks to roll in, and then they returned to the stalls to finish eating.  They've just been alternating between going outside and inside.  Each time I step outside, Gabbrielle comes to attention and watches me intently.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say she's in love with me.  Bombay found a bunch of sticks and has been poking Gabbrielle with them.  It's like nothing has changed... except we've got more space and better neighbors.  : )

The frosting on the cake was when a farrier called me back and set up an appointment for barefoot trims.  It turns out that he charges the same amount as my old farrier.  I hope he works out well.

23 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Awwww...that's good news~ Glad to hear about the farrier,too. Mine is coming out next week to do the herd. I'm so glad your horses are settled into their NEW HOME!!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thats is good news and that they trailered so well is great. they look good in the turnout and I think they will like the new place so much better. it is so good when things fall into place like a plan should. relax and enjoy now. Ellie

RiverBend Farm said...

YAY!!!! Home, sweet home. Plus you have more space and BETTER neighbors!!! I'm sooo happy for you!
Berte

Cut-N-Jump said...

Glad to hear they all made it home in one piece, with no nicks, scrapes or incidents. Sometimes they need to feel their legs bumping something or the sting of kicking or ??? to learnfor themselves- When I do this or act like an idiot- it hurts! I better not do that again. If they ride better tied or untied- go with it.

I was figuring if you needed me to, I could have met you up there with my trailer and done it all in one trip. Then Gabrielle wouldn't have felt like she was left behind.

lytha said...

OMGOSH -THEY"RE HOME!!!
i'm so, so happy for you!

look at your view from your porch, i don't have that!

also, those mountains in the background are amazing. layers of hills, with your arabians in the foreground. you are gonna love this.

Paint Girl said...

Woo hoo!! That is fantastic! They look great out there! Also happy to hear that trailering was a non issue and no cuts. That's always a plus! Now relax and enjoy your ponies! They're home!

Camryn said...

I'm normally a lurker but, had to say I'm so very happy for you and the gang. Together again :)

Mikey said...

Yay!!! They look happy out there. Looks bigger than I thought, they'll have room to zip around out there. What a great view too. I think there's nothing better than a porch that has a horse view :) Very cool!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh hooray!! I'm so thrilled for you that you're horse family is finally reunited with you at their new home! And no one was hurt while transporting. Yay! Such positive news! They look like they are enjoying their new spacious digs, too!

Congrats!!!

~Lisa

Stacey said...

Yay! Pony Homecoming! Congrats! Hope your new farrier works out!

Anonymous said...

They look so beautiful in that picture! It must be really nice to have them home. There is nothing better than looking out your own window and seeing your own horses.

Reddunappy said...

So glad the kids are finally home!!!
With nothing happening!!

So happy for you!!

Reddunappy said...

OH I forgot to say, OMG that fence is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!

sydney K said...

Thats great they are finally home!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

how very exciting to be in your new home with your complete family!

Dreaming said...

Glad your 'family' is back together again! Hooray!

Crystal said...

Yaa, they got home :)) sure looks like they will be enjoying themseves there!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Awesome! Glad everything went well enough and that the ponies are finally HOME!!

fernvalley01 said...

Yay! so glad you got them home, sigh of relief on Bombay coming through unscathed

lilyrose said...

I'm so glad to see you've got your kids at home! Sounds like it was good that you only had a short way to haul them...Bombay didn't have enough time to hurt himself. :)
They look great in your backyard! Keeping my fingers crossed that all the crap is behind you.

Breathe said...

Boy, I am ou of touch for a few weeks then BOOM the big news! I'm so glad they are safe and sound at home. Congrats, Muzz, what a journey!

Laura said...

Great news that your horses are home! So glad they made it all without any problems...!

achieve1dream said...

Yay!!!! They're home!!!!!! I'm so happy. And Bombay rode in a trailer without having a meltdown! Yay! I agree with you about the wraps. I think it's better to leave them off. I think the best thing they protect against is traffic accident injuries. As far as pawing and squirming around they are probably better off without. :) I'm so happy they are home and doing well. I love your new place!