Thursday, June 14, 2012

Unusual Encounters

I'm legal by the hair on my chinny chin chin.  I took my last car in for a smog check and it passed, probably since I drove it for 16 hours straight, sometimes at speeds of 75 mph.  This was my mother's car, and it didn't pass inspection once when she let it sit in the garage for several weeks.  The registration expires tomorrow. This car was old enough that I could afford the two-year registration.  I decided that the car has more value to me than any cash I could make from selling it, so I'm keeping it.  Now the kids don't have to share a car.

As I was walking through a parking lot while running errands, I heard this voice say, "Hello, Ma'am, I'm A.J. Police."

I looked up and saw this young homeless man, high as a kite, bouncing along like he was on Cloud Nine, smiling and carrying this large dog over his shoulder as if it were light as a feather.  (Don't you love how I squeezed three cliches into that sentence?)  The sight of him made me burst out into a big smile, and he smiled back even bigger.  He laughed and said, "You're funny."

I walked to my car and looked up at him one last time.  He was watching me over his dog's shoulder, still smiling and laughing.

I'm still astounded by how friendly everyone in Arizona is -- even the homeless.  I went to the bank, and the lady who helped me kept asking if I needed to do any other business, because she'd be happy to get a teller or banker or manager for me.  I said, "No, thank you," and then she offered me something to drink.  Never in my life have I been catered to with such kindness.  Usually, I go into banks and have to wait forever to get anyone's attention.

I love my new bank.  I know my banker by name and she's told her her life story, so she feels like family.  Also, the bank hung a bell by the door, so people who are satisfied with their customer service ring it on the way out.  Then all the employees in the bank call out, "Thank you!"  What a great way to liven up a business.  Fortunately, the population is fairly small this time of year, so the employees don't have to listen to the ringing all day long.  It kind of feels like when I first moved to Nevada and could walk into the bank and be the only customer with six tellers all waiting to help me.  By the time I left Nevada, it was a minimum 10 minute wait for a teller, and a minimum one hour wait for a banker.

Then while I was walking out of WalGreens, the cashier said, "Have a great rest of your day and be well."

I thought, "Wow.  What an interesting thing to say."  I'm used to cashiers just saying, "Thanks," and turning to help the next person.

I was able to pick up that last two Arizona law signs regarding equine activity liability at the Crazy Horse Saddle Shop.  Speaking of crazy horses, the barn owner met me in the parking lot when I stopped by to worm my horses, and she said that Gabbrielle's fly mask fell off, (I'm sure Bombay pulled it off with his teeth), and she tried putting it back on her, but while she was fastening it, Gabbrielle threw her head to the side and...

"...gave me this."  The barn owner removed her sunglasses to show me a really mean black, purple and red eye.  I apologized profusely.  She said, "Oh no, it's always a risk working with horses, but I'm not going to put that fly mask back on her ever again.  You're welcome to try putting it back on, but if I find it on the ground, I'm just hanging it in her stall."

She was upset because she's leaving on a cruise for her anniversary, and she doesn't want anyone taking her picture now.

I worked the fly mask all around Gabbrielle's face to see what her reaction would be, and she was fine with it.  Only when I put it over her ears did she start throwing her head around.  Then I remembered that she has had ticklish ears ever since the vet cut the tip off one of them after Bombay stepped on it.  I kept taking the fly mask off and putting it back on to get her used to the sensation of it touching her ears, then I attached it.

Lostine managed to keep hers on all week.  She's had cow patty diarrhea for over a week now, so that was one of the reasons why I wormed the horses, even though they weren't really due yet.  They have new feed, so they might have picked up some worms that way.  The barn owner felt that Arizona alfalfa has way too much protein and that was probably what was upsetting her digestion, so I told her that she could wean her off the alfalfa a little at a time to see if the diarrhea clears up.

I took Lostine for a walk around the boarding stable, because I could see that she was gassy and uncomfortable.  She was a bit hesitant, because all the horses got riled up and called out to her as we passed.  Two horses in the arena ran along side us and kept trying to bite her in the butt over the railing.  I quickly realized that there wasn't much space to walk in with cacti on one side and biting horses on the other, so I turned around to head for the more spacious parking lot, and Lostine started running.

I held her back and she had her nose cranked to her chest, still trying to run.  Then she saw a cactus and kept turning into me to try to get away from it.  I was using all my strength to hold her back with the lead rope, so I bumped her with my elbow to keep her from stepping on me.  All the horses around us where whinnying and galloping in their pens.  It was ridiculous.  I had to concentrate really hard on not letting her get away from me.  She even reared a little to let me know her frustration over me restraining her.  Fortunately, I got her back to her stall without either of us getting hurt.

Here's a baby bunny who lives outside my son's bedroom window...

Don't you just want to kiss that sweet face?  Yesterday I was about to take the dogs out back to do their business when they started growling, barking and howling through the door windows.  I looked out to see two medium to large-sized dogs lying under the bunny's tree.  They just got up and walked away when my dogs went nuts.  I'm not sure who they belonged to.  I see different animals each time I walk into my back yard.  The coyotes have been coming around a lot lately because our yard is a real smorgasbord of rabbit meat.

6 comments:

Reddunappy said...

So glad there are so many nice people there!!

Lostine is your older mare? The alfalfa may be to rich for her.

When my old mare started having runny stool, I started feeding her beet pulp, soaked. And It quit withing 24 hours. Dont know if your barn will soak it for you??

She isnt on grass, and has loose stool? Something is off.
Probiotics? maybe will help too, diffinately after a worming.

Good luck, just my opinion, I know you will take it or leave it :O) LOL

Cute bunny!

fernvalley01 said...

OUCH! nothing like a head shot from a horse! Sounds like you have found a very nice place to live the community does sound warm and friendly

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Well, I may have finally got a hold of the liability signs, but that doesn't mean I can put them up. Now my husband is refusing to let me post them because, "It's weird," and he feels uncomfortable about it. You see how every little thing in my house is like giving birth? I have no freedom to do what I see fit because someone is always opposing me around every turn.

Once Upon an Equine said...

"...be well". I like that. Glad you are meeting lots of nice people.

Mikey said...

If you look around, those liability signs are everywhere. Mine's posted on our front gate. Tell hubby it may feel "weird" but it feels a lot better than a lawsuit. Check around, nearly every horse facility around here has at least one. Ask at your boarding stable what they think of those signs. I bet they've got one there.

achieve1dream said...

I'm glad the people are a lot nicer there. :D

Ouch for the poor barn owner. That really sucks. I'm glad she didn't try to blame you or Gabrielle though.

I hope poor Lostine feels better soon!