Wednesday, July 18, 2012

More Weirdness

I guess it's just a weird day worthy of many posts. The majority of windows in my new house face the barn and horse paddock, so I have the privilege of being able to watch my horses from just about every room. I rely on them to alert me when someone or something is on our property. They have such good senses that they pick up little tiny animals way off in the distance that not even I can detect. So, when I looked out the window and saw this...

I thought horseback riders might be coming down into the arroyo. Then I saw the two black things about the size of dogs on the hillside.

I grabbed the binoculars to get a closer look, and thought they might be a couple of javelina (wild pigs), but they were so black.

Then I saw them waddle from side profile and realized they were vultures. Now I've seen everything... I hope.

6 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, gosh! Well, that's a rare sight! I saw a flock(?) of 11 of them last weekend. It was eerie.

Laura said...

wow - the wildlife you have is unbelievable...!

Reddunappy said...

Turkey Vultures?
They are huge!!!
We have quite a few around here!

fernvalley01 said...

wow!

Cut-N-Jump said...

The majority of our vultures have white around their neck. Maybe these are young ones?

There are a lot of them around and I stopped one morning to watch one eating road kill. Birds gotta eat too! When I got into the office and told others about it they all thought I was nuts.

achieve1dream said...

LOL! That's cool!