Wednesday, July 25, 2012

On Watch

And Mikey was just saying in her comment that my posts were starting to sound like I'm more relaxed...

Why am I on watch? Weeeeeeeeell, my husband took the dogs outside on leash to just go to the end of our driveway to pick up the mail, and I heard a ruckus of dogs barking. My husband came running back in the house with the dogs just seconds later, all out of breath and said, "There's a mountain lion out there!"

He slammed the door behind him, and I contemplated asking him to check his pants, because he looked like he might have shat in them. Then it hit me that a mountain lion might attack the horses, so I ran out onto the patio to try to catch sight of it. I stood watch while my husband called the neighbor.

The neighbor said that something got into their barn the other night and their horse kicked so hard that it cut its leg and is now in wraps. We also found out that the rattlesnake that almost bit my husband is now harassing the neighbors. In all the years they've lived here, every one of their dogs has been bitten by a rattlesnake. They said that you can either pay $35 a year for a rattlesnake vaccine, or you can pay $1,500 to keep your dog alive after it is bit. Looks like I'll be setting up an appointment to get both of my dogs in for vaccines.

Anyway, I went out to feed the horses while my husband stood guard with a manure fork and watched for the big cat. He had to go in the house to feed the dogs, and told me to keep an eye out while I cleaned stalls. I looked up every now and then and surveyed the bushes around the paddock. Then I nearly jumped out of my skin when an animal appeared out of the bushes right by my hay barn, about 20-feet away from me. I realized it was a coyote and heard my husband yell, "Look out! You've got a coyote coming up from behind you."

People have been bit by coyotes, so I steer clear of them. They aren't afraid of people. It paused and looked at me, and then headed away toward the arroyo. I figured that the mountain lion might have flushed it out, or flushed out a bunch of bunnies that it wanted for dinner. Anyway, I've got the floodlights on and a window open, so that I can see and hear what's going on outside tonight.

In other news, I tossed a towel to Bombay in hopes that he would get his jollies swinging it in a circle instead of Gabbrielle's fly mask.  He did.

The mountains had a cloud tidal wave coming off them yesterday...

Our hedge bloomed overnight and now we are blinded by purple...

...and the buzz of a thousand bees vibrates us to the bone.  I walk between the hedge each time I take the dogs out to do their business, and we are surrounded by bees, but they never bother us.  They are more interested in landing on the flowers to get their pollen and nectar than in landing on us and losing their stingers.


11 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Never ending excitement for you girl!!!

Glad the honey bees arent aggressive at least!!

Reddunappy said...

LOL you need a shotgun. :O)

Mikey said...

Gorgeous blooms! Love them, and your adventures. Be careful out there, the cats do come down in the heat of summer. Attacks on horses happen more than people think. If you don't have firearms to scare them off (or are too close to neighbors to shoot) consider getting some fireworks. They work very well at scaring all kinds of things off. I know Walmart sells some bangy type things that are easy to use. I used half a string of blackcats I had left over from working in Alaska, and they worked very well to scare two bulls who were fighting along my fence. Very loud!

fernvalley01 said...

Big cats scare me, they have such power and stealth.Stay safe!

ryde2rope said...

There is another option to keep your dogs safe.Its cheap and it works>> http://snake-avoidance.com/

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, my~ a mountain lion that close! We have friends who own property up in our local mountains. A few years ago (like 10...) we stayed at their place over July 4th and took our German Shepherd with us. They advised us to keep him inside with us overnight because a mountain lion had attacked their goats! I KNOW they are up in our local mountains...there are deer up there and they do go after the deer. They also go after domestic livestock, like the goats. Twice now I've seen bobcats up there and it's just over the hill from where I board my horses.

Jeni said...

oh holy crap!!!!! Moutain Lion ? Do you have a gun?

Cut-N-Jump said...

The sage bushes look gorgeous and yes, they seem to bloom like that overnight when the rain (like we have had) hits. The only thing I have yet to see you mention seeing is javalina. They run in your parts you know.

Coyotes- we have them out here too. I was riding one night, hubby was standing there coaching me and one came jogging along the fenceline. It looked right at us (we were only about 10 feet away) and just kept trucking along. I told it, "Well gee! Don't let us get in your way..." It could have cared less.

The rain brings the plants, bringing the bunnies, bringing the coyotes and mountain lions and bobcats... At least we don't have bears and they tend to stay up north where it is cooler.

Cut-N-Jump said...

I forgot to mention the cicadas. We have a lot of them around here too and the buzzing lasts most of the afternoon until around dark.

aurora said...

Wow, never a dull moment with all kinds of visitors! Thankfully we don't have a lot of them, but the big cats we do have roaming around here have gone after livestock - including horses. Take care!

achieve1dream said...

Those hedges in bloom are awesome! And I'm glad Bombay likes his towel. :D

Yikes on the mountain lion!!! I never even thought about them attacking the horses. That's scary. Does it happen often out there?