Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Who's the Dog Walker Now?

Remember how my dog walking neighbor in my old house drove me nuts with her constant presence on my property?  Well, I have become that woman.  Only I stay on my own property.  I probably walk my dogs ten times a day, and then my husband takes over walking them out at night to do their business.

We usually walk them in front of the house at night and in the mornings, and then walk them in back of the house in the afternoons.  We follow the shade, because the ground can get mighty hot for little paws.  Last night my husband walked out the front door, only to blurt out, "What the hell is that?" and then turn around and come right back inside.

I said, "What is it now?"

He said, "I swear, every night it's something new.  Now there is a huge black spider on our porch."

I got up and took a look.  Yup.  Huge black spider.  I encouraged him to go out anyway.

He said, "What if it jumps on me?"

I said I doubted it would.  He made several false starts, then chickened out.  I suggested he take the dogs to pee out back.  He said, "No, there's rattlesnakes out that way."

So, I suggested that he go out the garage door.  He said, "But then all those huge black beetles will fly in.  I think the only thing that hasn't happened to us since we moved here is that an Apache Indian hasn't jumped out of the bushes and scalped us."

So true.  But I have to admit that seeing so many new-to-us species of animal life is entertaining, even if most of it is poisonous or destructive.  The huge black spider was still on the porch in the morning.  Then I heard and saw a bird crash into the glass on our front door, and the spider was gone after that.  I hope the bird had a hearty meal.

Hey, you two!  No making out in my horse paddock!

Midge and Scrappy leading the way to their favorite pit stop.

Gotta keep noses out of bushes, especially after a monsoon.

Gawd, I love my back yard!

You know how how some people smoke cigarettes after...?  Well, Midge always had to scratch after a good pee.

11 comments:

RiverBend Farm said...

You're so funny! I love your backyard too. I think your hubby would gladly exchange a spider and a snake for your previous neighbors. I'm sure it's gonna take some time to get used to the new critters. I love your new place!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Love smoking after ... and Midge reference...made me laugh out loud! :O)

I'm Tina~I'm too lazy to sign in.

Reddunappy said...

Was it a Tarantula??

Carly said...

What state are you in? Nevada? Your backyard is GORGEOUS!!!

fernvalley01 said...

It sure is pretty there!

Paint Girl said...

I wouldn't have gone out after seeing a big, black spider either. 2 things I can't handle are spiders and snakes. I would probably be stuck in the house forever with spiders out front and snakes out back!! LOL!!
I love your back yard too. Such a gorgeous view!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Reddunappy - I don't think so. It was as big as a tarantula, but not hairy. It was shiny. I tried looking for a picture of it that would identify it on the Internet and the closest thing I could find was a crevice-weaving spider.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Carly - Arizona.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Not sure whatkind of spider that may have been. Black widows are common around here, but if that's what it was- she must have been eating really good!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

C-N-J - Yeah, definitely not a black widow. I'm very familiar with them, as they've inhabited every house I've ever lived in. I know their shape, their markings, their webs... This was about the size of a toddler's hand. It was there long enough that I should have got a picture, but it really grossed me out just to look at it.

achieve1dream said...

Oooh no! Nope. Don't do spiders! Yuck!

Midge is so silly!

I love your new place. It's so pretty. :)