Sunday, August 12, 2012

What Level of Education Does Your Agent Have?

Real estate agents need to be licensed, but for all we know, some of them may not have made it past a sixth grade education. It was starting to look that way with Santa Claus. When I realized how badly my agent and the buyer's agent botched communications regarding my house, I decided to search for it on the Internet to see how and where it was being advertised. I had seen it on my real estate company's website, but was too busy moving into my new home to really pay attention to other sites.

I was shocked to find just about every other word misspelled, spaces between words missing, and incorrect punctuation. My ads looked like they were written by a child or someone who was educationally challenged. No wonder I wasn't getting any other offers. The first thing that people saw in connection with my house was an incredibly unprofessional advertisement. I didn't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with the agent and seller of this house. We looked like complete idiots.

I sent out an email to my agent, listing the websites and all the spelling, grammar and punctuation corrections that needed to be made. I got no response. I went back to the sites and would see that the entire description had been changed instead of corrected, and the new description had just as many errors as the old description. Just to add to the complexity of trying to communicate with Santa on all the problems with these ads, misinformation began creeping in. Suddenly my maple cabinets were birch and my 2,100 square foot house was over 3,000 square feet. The more he changed things, the further he got from the truth.  It was almost as if he was advertising someone else's house with my address.

I didn't want to feel like an anal retentive nag by constantly asking the guy to correct all these mistakes, but once he started misrepresenting the house, I had to come down on him hard. A few of those problems did get corrected, but Santa was never good about acknowledging my emails. If I wanted to know if the changes had been made, I had to monitor the websites myself. Apparently, a simple “Done” reply was too much for his busy schedule.

When he did make corrections, he would correct some of the errors, but not all of them.  It was as if he were only reading half of my email.  Then I found some advertisements in which he was pointing out the negative aspects of my house and property, such as that the add-on was not permitted by the previous owners and some of the lawns were not hooked up to an automated sprinkler system and would have to be hand-watered. 

I was floored.  It was almost as if he didn't want to sell my house.  It was as if he was getting revenge on me for insisting that he correct all of his typos.  I had to contact him and tell him to remove all those negative statements.  I told him that it is okay to reveal such information during an inspection period, but there was no reason to advertise it to all potential buyers.  He removed those statements without a word, but I knew that Santa had to be seething inside.  No one likes to be told how to do his job, but the way in which he was doing his was jeopardizing my family's future.  With each day that our house didn't sell, we were losing money.

7 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Is he part of a real estate group?
If it isnt taken care of to satisfaction, you could go "over his head" or ask for a different realtor.

Anonymous said...

We dealt with an agent like this once and when I got fed up with him I called his broker and reported him, the agent then called me all upset because his broker had come down on him. He ask whynI did not talk to home first. I had tried to talk to the agent but he did not want to listen to me. His broker got his attention real fast and the house sold in a short time.

Cheryl Ann said...

My husband deals with this all the time at the corporation where he works. People just don't care about spelling and grammar anymore! Period. They are lazy and your agent really sounds like an idiot. I hope you kept copies of the old ads to show someone at the office and you get another agent. Believe me, there are PLENTY out there! (not trying to sound bossy or negative...)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well that sucks. Santa Claus is supposed to bring presents that fill you with happiness and joy.

This guy ain't no Santa! beh!

~Lisa

Realtor Chicagoland said...

At our office agents like this wouldn't be tolerated. Thanks for the post.

Tammy said...

Spelling, punctuation, grammar drives me CRAZY. Admittedly, I am no English major but I think my 1970's high school education (perhaps even grade school) taught me how to form a proper sentence. And for goodness sake, spell check should help anyone who has a problem spelling. There is just no excuse.

achieve1dream said...

What the . . . . . . . .