Tuesday, September 18, 2012

New Hazards

Now that I'm taking the horses out for walks to introduce them to their new surroundings outside of the barn,  I'm running into a new problem:  Poisonous plants.  The contractor who built my barn warned me that pretty much everything that grows in Arizona is poisonous to horses.  With the generous amount of rain we've had this summer, all kinds of weeds, flowers and shrubs have sprung up.  One of the more common weeds has this yellow flower:

Is anyone familiar with it?  What is it called and is it poisonous to horses?  I've been researching this online, but will really need to just go out during the day and take pictures of every kind of weed that the horses managed to snatch up before I had the chance to stop them.  Then I can compare them side-by-side on my computer with the pictures online rather than relying on memory.  I just happened to take this picture the other day while taking the dog for a walk.

My husband already found some Locoweed and warned me to keep the horses away from it.  The weeds are a double-edged sword because not only am I not familiar with them and their effects on horses, but now it is easier for snakes to hide among them.  I used to be able to walk all around the property and see where I was stepping, but now taking a step forward is an act of faith, because I just don't know what might be in that clump of weeds I have to step in to get from point A to point B.

As I get pictures, I'll post them here and test your knowledge.  Thanks for the help.

3 comments:

Reddunappy said...

From what I can find online, they are a type of Sunflower? Domestic ones are not poisonous.

There are zillions! LOL of types of wild ones there in the SW!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

If it were me, I'd be use a walking stick while moving through the tall weeds.
Snakes are probably loving the weeds, because they can easily hunt small mammals while remaining hidden.

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

No clue on the plant, sorry. Can you wear tall boots to protect against snakes or can they bite through them? I'd be paranoid about them to lol.