Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Scrappy Follows His Nose

Being a very old and fat dog resembling a sausage with a head, four legs and a tail, Scrappy didn't handle the heat from this summer very well.  When I took him outside to do his business, he'd only walk out a few feet, find his spot, then turn around and go back inside panting heavily.  One day I tried to walk him to the mailbox at the end of the driveway and the old man couldn't make it, so I carried him there and back.

The past few days have been cooler with rain storms coming through our area.  Last night I actually shivered in a cold wind, which was amazing.  Usually, the wind feels like fire.  With this change in temperatures, Scrappy dragged me out for a long walk around the property.  He was hot on the trail of some creature he thought he could eat.  He took me around the side of the shed...

Then he wanted to go through the fence into the neighbors' yard, but I pulled him back.  We walked all the way down to the end of the white fence and back...


Scrappy found a pile of dried concrete where the previous home owner dumped it...

It started raining, so the horses were hunkered down under the barn roof.  I've managed to spread the pile of sand in the barn aisle and three of the four stalls so far and it looks like there will be plenty left over to make it deeper.  I look forward to doing the shoveling every evening.  It's how I get my exercise.  I shovel the sand into my wagon, pull it into the barn, dump it, and spread it with the shovel.

The horses are such pests that they do everything they can to block me, chew on the wagon tires, and gnaw the handle of the shovel in order to drive me nuts so that I will feed them early to get them out of my hair.  Bombay was such a turd that when I parked the wagon next to the pile of sand, he climbed onto the pile next to the wagon so that I couldn't shovel.  I tried shoveling between his legs and he grabbed the spade with his teeth.

The horses love all that sand in their barn.  All three of them have finally stopped limping because they've got soft ground to stand and walk on.  There are plenty of rocks in the paddock still to toughen up their feet, but I believe they also need a place to stand that offers their feet some relief, and the sand is paying off.  Bombay actually rolled in it in one stall and didn't get his legs caught in the railings since I designed the barn to have 16x16' stalls.

My husband has been installing a floodlight down by the well so that we can flip a switch in the house and see what's going on in the barn and around the paddock at night.  We do have one floodlight on the house pointing at the barn, but the previous owners wired it to a switch that is in the farthest corner of the garage from the house, so it's not convenient when you hear a loud noise outside and need to see what's going on right away.  It's also not a very powerful light.  This new one should do the trick.  It kind of reminds me of a smaller, shorter version of tennis court lights.

Scrappy ended up trying to drag me across the street onto the bridle trail, but I told him we had to get back inside before my camera got drenched.  It's so nice to see him energetic and enthusiastic like a puppy every once in a while.

Oh yeah, and whenever I took Scrappy over to the horses at our old house to socialize, he got scared and scrambled away.  We only had pipe panels, so the horses could stick their big, intimidating heads through them to sniff him.  Here at the new house, we have no climb fencing.  Gabbrielle was walking beside us on the other side of the fence, so I said to Scrappy, "Say hello to Gabbrielle."

He ran over to the fence, stuck his nose through, wagged his tail, and when Gabbrielle lowered her head, he kissed her on the muzzle!  How sweet is that?

5 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh hooray! For rain and cooler temps! It's nice when the weather cools down enough to enjoy a walk with your dog :)

~Lisa

strivingforsavvy said...

Good day for Scrappy!

Cut-N-Jump said...

The rain has been a nice and welcome treat as well. As soon as you get that pile spread out you should have a nice area to start working horses and be able to bring them along in their training. Start getting them in shape now so you can be riding soon. I may have to trailer one up there and go out with you...

fernvalley01 said...

WHat a cool dog! So nice that it is cooler and he is feeling better. I don't envy you the summer there I would be dead

achieve1dream said...

Awww Scrappy is so cute!!! If you get the chance next time I would love to see a picture of him giving Gabrielle kisses. That has so be so adorable!! I'm glad it's cooling off and he feels better. :D

I love the flood light too. I want one of those!!