Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Baby Bunny Surprises Me

Baby Bunny, which I've decided is her name, (she understands the rhythm of the four syllables, and the repetitive B and Y sounds), continually manages to surprise me.  For a while there I thought I had lost her to a coyote.  They've been out most nights, and I sometimes hear rabbits screaming, followed by coyotes howling as they fight over the carcass.  After one exceptionally raucous episode, I didn't see Baby Bunny for several days and nights.

Then yesterday afternoon I was sitting on the couch and I saw movement out of the corner of my eye on the deck.  A wild rabbit had hopped up the staircase onto our above ground patio and was investigating all the furniture out there.  I wondered what would drive a rabbit to do that.  There was no food or water up there, and plenty of shade elsewhere.  Then the rabbit hopped right up to my glass door and looked in at me.  I looked back at it and thought, "Is that Baby Bunny?  It looks like her, but it couldn't be.  I'm just being hopeful.  All these rabbits look alike."

A short time later I walked outside down to the hay barn and found these two bunnies feasting on the hay.

They went on alert with my presence.  I've learned that a rabbit's survival instinct includes holding very still when a predator's eyes are on it, and then as soon as the head turns or the eyes look elsewhere, they run away.

I knew that these bunnies were not my Baby Bunny, because they ran away from me.  As soon as those two rabbits left the scene, I saw movement up on my porch, and the rabbit that had been up there before looking in the door came hopping down the hill from my deck, and hopped right up to me.

With both her appearance and her behavior packaged together, I immediately recognized her as Baby Bunny.  I said, "Hi!" in an enthusiastic voice.  "I'm so glad you weren't eaten by a coyote."

She paused at my feet to sniff me, and then hopped over to the hay to enjoy her dinner.

Her acceptance of me seems to have progressed to her seeking me out.  I don't want to ruin this fragile relationship by reaching out to pet her just yet.  The next stage would probably be to hand feed her carrots.  I have tossed pieces of carrots to her in the past, and even accidentally pegged her with them, but she doesn't hop away.

Obviously, she's not a baby bunny anymore, but appears to be the runt of the litter.  I suspect that the other rabbits pick on her, which is why she hangs out around me.  She knows my presence will chase them away so that she can have the entire haystack to herself.  I guess even some wild rabbits know that survival includes creating alliances with those who can protect them.

6 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Rabbits are so funny, and quite fierce when they want to be!! LOL
Funny that she is going up on the deck.

Cindy Durham said...

Wow, that is soooo cool! What a brave little bunny.
Thanks for letting me know that my email was not on my page. I have added it, and thanks for the info on the farrier. I have it saved.

sydney K said...

Cool! Last night when I pulled in from shoeing I noticed there was a rabbit sitting in the lawn by the road. When I was feeding it was getting dark and then I heard the rabbit scream. My dog went to run after it but listened and came back to me because all I could think of was the coyotes getting him next. Then this morning when I was repairing stuff on the barn he came back all proud of himself and STINKY oh my gosh. Talk about foul. He rolled where the coyote had killed the rabbit and spilled the blood. Gross.

spotz58 said...

Amazing!

fernvalley01 said...

Friends in nature~

Strawberry Lane said...

How sweet! Looks like you are the one! Amazing for a wild bunny, I would think.