Monday, October 22, 2012

Wings and Petals Macros

With my Nikon D300s, Capture One, and Photoshop:







With my point and shoot Canon PowerShot SX10 IS and no editing:





These next three photos are of a giant swallowtail butterfly.  This is the biggest and most elusive of the butterflies who visit our flowers.  Usually, as soon as I walk outside to take its picture after spotting it through the window, it flies up over the roof of the house and won't return until I leave.  On this occasion, I stood at a distance as still as possible with a zoom lens.  It was very difficult getting a clear and balanced picture right out of the camera, because it kept its wings flapping the entire time and hopped from flower to flower every second or two.  I had to be quick to catch it.  These were the most interesting photos.  You can see that the butterfly marking are primarily black on top of the wing and yellow underneath.  What is really beautiful are the sky blue arcs underneath the wing.



Here you can see the big, black bug eyes and delicate legs.

5 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Great pictures Nuzz!
I love that red flower! (#6)

lytha said...

it is quite strange to be photographing flowers this time of year; ) i like your photos but bugs are bugs and i'd be like "Get away!!" and running. those red/orange flowers are amazing. so glad you have a gorgeous environment to photograph, backdrop to your Arabians.

Paint Girl said...

Beautiful! If only we had such beautiful flowers and butterflies this time of year! But now I have to wait 7-8 months for that. So I will live vicariously through your pictures!

Strawberry Lane said...

Beautiful pictures! Love the butterflies!

achieve1dream said...

GREAT photos of some beautiful flowers and butterflies. :D