Saturday, January 26, 2013

A River Runs Through It

Last night clouds floated past the full  moon.  I awoke to rain, more rain, and more rain.  I had to feed the horses on what dry spots I could find in the barn, because their feed troughs were full of water.  A short time later I looked outside and their hay was floating away in a river, while the horses stood in piles of manure because those were the highest spots in the barn.

I knew I had to get out there and clean up last night's manure or I'd be dealing with thrush and abscesses for the next two weeks.  So, I did, and just in the short time I was out there, the river through the barn flowed faster and got deeper.  My husband and I began constructing sand walls, rock piles and trenches to redirect the water away from the barn.  We also lined wagons, wheel barrows and water troughs up along the edge of the barn roof to catch the water.  You just don't know where the water will flow until you get a really good rainstorm.

Once the rain stopped the ground began soaking up the water pretty quick and I was able to bring my camera outside.  Places where the water was up to my ankle had no standing water within about 20 minutes after the rain stopped.  We took a walk down to the arroyo to see what was going on there.  These pictures were taken after the water began disappearing.  When we first looked, there was a river 10 to 12-feet wide running through the back of our property.


I find it amazing that just a few days ago this was training ground for my horses.  We're keeping an eye out for critters that are in search of shelter.  I already took a shower with a spider that came up from the drain this morning and made itself at home in my washcloth.  Yucky.

10 comments:

Ms Martyr said...

To heck with the shower scene in Psycho. Finding a spider in the shower with me would put me off showering for life. Maybe bathing, period.

Cheryl Ann said...

You know, we had a LOT of rain over here, too. It started Thursday night, then rained Friday and Friday night. My bird feeders are completely soaked. We need the rain, however, so I'm not complaining! That's a lot of water in your arroyo.

lilyrose said...

Don't you just love our rain storms? We had rain gutters put on our barn for that very reason. That way we can direct the rain where we want it to go...down to the wash. :) Good luck!

Vaquerogirl said...

Wow! Lots of water. Be safe and careful!

Crystal said...

Amazing how much water can fall and then be gone so quick as well.

fernvalley01 said...

s there an issue with the soil or sand there that just a few hours of wet will lead to Thrush and or abscess? Quit the difference with the rain, how long before it will be dry?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Easy to understand why it's so important never to be in an arroyo when you can see storm clouds or hear thunder. Those flash floods really fill up those arroyos fast.
That's too bad that so much water gathered underneath your barn where it's supposed to be dry. But at least now you know what will happen there in a heavy rain, and can fix those issues.

We had rain all day here in New Mexico. This is NOT normal up here above 7,200ft in the mountains. I can't remember ever getting rain in January. We always get snow instead.
Our temps have been in the upper 50's and low 60's all week. This is just weird weather!

No biggie on the spider. When we lived in Rio Rancho, my husband stepped out of the shower and barely missed stepping on a scorpion. That really freaked me out! For the next few months I insisted on wearing flip flops in the shower. lol!

~Lisa

spotz58 said...

And that is how a lot of the weird junk you see in the wash gets there. When I lived in AZ years ago I rode in the washes until a big rain swept my neighbor's barn away. The thought of riding on top of it or other stuff kept me out of them from then on.

Cut-N-Jump said...

This is what is commonly called a Gulley Washer... Pours like crazy then in nothing flat things are back to same old dry normal.

achieve1dream said...

Ick! Spider! Yuck! *shudder*

That's cool on the rain. Desert environments are so interesting. I hope it's an easy fix to redirect it around the barn. :)