Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Different Kind of Progress

My horse trainer has been (ahem) encouraging me to flatten out the mounds of sand in the riding arena.  She doesn't like walking around in sand dunes while giving lessons.  I don't blame her.  It's impossible for me to haul the wagon through the thicker spots to pick up manure.  I occasionally go out there with a shovel, wheelbarrow and rake to spread the sand around, but that method has obviously been taking months of work without a whole lot of progress.

I looked into renting a tractor or Bobcat, but can't find anything local.  I suspect I just don't know where to look.  So, I bought a drag harrow and my husband fixed it up to move sand around.  I got out there in my pickup truck and dragged it this way and that until it was better than before.  The mounds aren't as obvious, but I still need to do the finishing touches with a shovel and rake.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks good and the harrow will come in handy whenever you want to level out the ground later. ellie k

Mikey said...

Ahhh, that looks so nice! I love freshly furrowed ground!
It's always a LOT more than it looks like when it's in piles. I just finished 2 piles of gravel here, one I did myself till I thought I would DIE and God bless my neighbor, he came over and spread the other one for me for Christmas. I was never so thankful to see a tractor in my life, lol.
I bet your trainer's going to love it!

Katharine Swan said...

Oh, it looks great, though! What a terrific arena you have -- and you don't have to share it with anyone, either!

Crystal said...

Oh looks like you did a great job! I am so envious of the arena, looks so inviting to ride in

Reddunappy said...

That looks awesome!!! Wish I could have something like that to ride in!!!

Cheryl Ann said...

Looks good!

Linda said...

That's a dream arena!! Inspires me to get ours done. I'm going to start bending my husband's ear!!!

achieve1dream said...

Wow that looks fabulous!!! Good job! :D