Monday, February 4, 2013

Another Scare

I guess today is just a scary day.  After running into aggressive loose dogs while walking Bombay this morning, I went outside this afternoon to do my homework.  My horse trainer wanted me to ride Lostine before our next lesson and let her know how it goes.  I've told her about the arthritis in Lostine's joints and her pedal ostitis, but Lostine moves so well from the ground without any lameness that the trainer felt I could still ride her.

So, I caught Lostine, tied her to the trailer, groomed her, and tacked her up.  The saddle that fits her best is the heaviest of all my saddles.  She was fine until I tried to lead her away from the trailer to the arena.  She took a couple of steps forward, got a funny look on her face, took some steps backward, and then all four knees buckled and she started to collapse.

I quickly pulled her head up, but her hind end dropped and she was sitting with her butt on the ground like a dog.  She struggled and got her hind end up, but then her front end started to go down again.  I pushed her this way and that to get all four legs underneath her, because they were in some unnatural positions.  Once she was precariously balanced, I quickly removed the saddle, and then she could stand and walk just fine.

I felt horrible.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the saddle fit, so she must have been in pain either from arthritis in her spine or maybe ulcers.  The horse trainer tested her out last week because I told her that Lostine was cinchy, but she found no evidence of Lostine being sensitive to having a rope tightened around her girth.  She was fine today when I cinched her up, so there was something about the weight of the saddle on her back that caused her enough pain to drop to her knees.  I checked the saddle pad and verified that there were no thorns or burrs stuck in it.

I've never seen a horse behave that way.  I know she wasn't trying to roll, because the ground was very hard and rocky there.  She's such a prima donna that she always has to roll in the perfect spot and prepare it by pawing the sand around.  I took her for a short walk after that, and she was droopy, hanging her head low as if someone had just beat her up and she was exhausted.  She's not colicking.  When I palpitate and pinch her spine, she doesn't react.  I almost wonder if something might be going on with her kidneys, so I'm going to watch her more closely to see if she is showing symptoms of something beyond that incident.


10 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, gosh...sending good thoughts your way.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I'm thinking Lostine is a very smart girl. I don't think it was pain or ulcers. I think she is just finding another way to assert her dominance. Obviously, talk to your trainer about it, but I'll be surprised if it's anything but an ill temper.

appydoesdressage said...

Have you tried it a second time to see if she repeats the performance? If she does then I would agree something may be wrong. If not then chalk it up to a one off and keep going?

Reddunappy said...

That is a weird one, and probably really scary for you!!!

I hope she was just acting out, if not? who knows? I hope it doesnt happen again.

Christie Somename said...

I just read this in The Horse Magazine. http://www.thehorse.com/articles/31283/concerning-collapse Not to worry you but surely keep an eye on her and get the vet out to check her over. Hoping she does better!

Cut-N-Jump said...

I've got to agree with BEC's on this one. I would tack her up in the arena and see if she pulls it again.

My one gelding tried limping along on me once, then spooked, forgot to limp a few strides before limping again, but with the other hoof. It didn't work anymore after that. Don't be surprised if she is pulling a fast one on you. She may just be testing the waters and your limits.

If it happens again though, maybe a chiro adjustment, massage or both would be a good thing for her.

fernvalley01 said...

I kinda think try again, strikes me that she may have just had a pinch point or something I have seen the odd horse do that and be just fine moments later, or like BEC AND CNJ said , a wily old girl is Lostine

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

My husband's thought is that she had an air bubble, because that can bring a person to his knees, so why not a horse? The cinch probably trapped it and when I released the cinch to remove the saddle, the air bubble moved and she was okay. I do remember hearing a lot of commotion coming from her intestines.

fernvalley01 said...

We have a warmblood here who thinks he will die if he has a sideways fart a little gas bubble and he is in full blown"i am colicking dying!!!" so could be

achieve1dream said...

Poor Lostine! I hope it was just gas. Please keep us updated.