Friday, February 8, 2013

Never a Dull Moment

This morning my farrier came by to do his routine barefoot trim on my three horsekateers.  He discovered that Gabbrielle's right shoulder is wasted away.  It's much lower and more sunken in than the shoulder on the left side.  She nearly has a club foot on the right front, so his theory is that she had some kind of injury when she was little that led to both the club foot and the withered shoulder contributing to the development of each other.  She did limp off and on for several years, but none of the vets or horse trainers could figure out what was going on with her.  The farrier said I will just have to limit her to trail riding and know that she will always be less flexible on her right side.  I can't take up barrel racing with her.  I wasn't planning on it, but at least now I know that this limping wasn't "all in her head" like one trainer suggested.

This evening I saw the theatrical play of WarHorse with my daughter.  My farrier and I were speculating on how they will manage to include a bunch of horses in the play.  It turned out that they had multiple mechanical sculptures of horses that were huge and operated by several actors.  One actor controlled the back legs and tail, another controlled the front legs and withers, and another controlled the head and ears.  Each sculpture was unique in its physique.  The actors who played humans were even able to ride these mechanical horses.

My daughter and I were laughing because the main horse, Joey, had a rather long dingus.  Then we realized that wasn't intentional.  The actor who operated the back half of the horse wore sleeves that were the same color as the sculpture, so his arm looked like the horse's dong.

The director did his research on horse behavior, because every movement from going on alert, to spooking, to relaxing, to pulling a cart, to grazing was spot on.  The movements were so intricate and believable that I forgot by the end of the play that I wasn't looking at real horses.  They even did the more dramatic scenes in slow motion, showing the horses flying through the air and rearing.  My daughter said she was balling her eyes out in the end.  I got choked up too.  A lot of people were pulling out their tissues, and the cast got a standing ovation and came on stage three times to take their bows.

When we filed out of the theater, there were two huge helicopters hovering above us and a police officer on every street corner.  My daughter said that the last time there was that much police presence on the university campus was when someone saw a man with a gun.  We got to our car and saw a very suspicious extra-long cargo van with two men sitting in it.  It was obvious they were doing surveillance.  All I could find in the news was that someone reported that a shot was fired near campus. 

Never a dull moment.  Anyway, if the play WarHorse comes your way, I recommend that you go see it.

2 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

What I find so ironic is that if someone hears a gunshot in a city near a school, they call out the National Guard because of all these school, shopping mall and theater tragedies, yet I hear people shooting off guns all the time in the past two rural neighborhoods I've lived in, and nobody calls the cops because we all figure it's just a farmer shooting a coyote that went after his chickens.

achieve1dream said...

I saw something on TV about how they made those mechanical horses. It was so fascinating. Amazing what they can do. I would love to see that play! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm glad nothing bad happened with the gunshot.