Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Clean Horses


I keep buying carrots and forgetting to give them to the horses, so they get floppy and grow limbs in the refrigerator.  I was feeling a little better today after meeting my new tax accountant.  It turns out that she and I have a lot in common, so she knows just how to handle my taxes.  I only have to get a few more folders of paperwork together for her, and she thinks she can have my entire family's taxes done in a week.  That's much better than last year, which took more like six weeks.  With the worst of that behind me, I wanted to make up for some time missed with the horses.

Gabbrielle and I took a long walk out in the desert because I needed to burn off some calories and she needed more exposure.  I took a route that has a lot of garbage, signs, hills, children screaming at recess, and wild animals.  She was really good about walking right up to whatever concerned her and checking it out without trying to run away first.  She actually only spooked once when I blew a raspberry to test her out, but she wouldn't fall for that trick after the first time.

Then I trimmed bridle paths and bathed each horse.  Poor Gabbrielle had to be bathed twice because only after I rubbed what I thought was shampoo all over her, I looked more closely at the bottle and realized it was just conditioner.  So, I did it all over again, but with the shampoo.  She seemed to really enjoy her spa day.  Likewise, Lostine was standing at the gate, begging me to bathe her.  Bombay, on the other hand, was putting on a big production running from side to side, pawing the mud and even trying to jump the railing to get out of having to take a bath.

I was extra cautious shampooing his tail because he was acting oddly and I suspected he was considering kicking me.  Each horse got to graze while the wind blow dried them.


I'm surprised over how much grass we have in the spring.  Our entire property is covered with it.  I don't even need to plant a pasture.


This is how white and fluffy Gabbrielle's mane was after it dried...


Gabbrielle and Bombay's tails...


They still have a little yellow that will probably come out in the next washing, but they look way better than before.  It's always embarrassing when someone comes to your house and points out how brown your gray horses' manes and tails are.  And they always do it in the winter when the weather hasn't been warm enough to give baths, so it's not like I can do anything about it.  But this afternoon was perfect.  Of course, all the horses rolled in the sand as soon as I released them into the paddock, but I can brush that off tomorrow.

6 comments:

Willow said...

Well they look just lovely ... wish it was warm enough here to give our horses baths!

Ian Holland said...

Want to come and do my three?

fernvalley01 said...

sounds like a nice way to spend the day

achieve1dream said...

Wow bathing three horses in one day is a lot of work! I'm exhausted after just one LOL! They look great. I sometimes wonder if Chrome's tail is dirty or if the blonde is just the color it is right now since he hasn't fully changed. I guess we shall see. :)

Paint Girl said...

I love spa days! I cannot wait until I can do that to mine, June maybe?
They look so clean and shiny! And sounds like Gabbrielle did well on her walk!

Crystal said...

Oh I been waiting and waiting and waiting for warmer weather so I can give my ponies a bath...and for the grass to start growing but I guess the snow has to go first.