Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lostine Tests Out the New Reins

After returning the way-too-short-for-trail-riding loop rope reins to the feed store, I talked with my horse trainer about her making some in the size I want. She still would have to order the materials, so I would have to wait a few weeks to get them. I decided to try out the Parelli 11-foot finesse rein, because I had confidence that it would reach me first, and then if it was too long or too short, I'd have my trainer make a second pair in the better size and a different color.

I ordered the reins from the Parelli online store on Monday using the cheapest shipping of 7 to 14 days, hoping it really wouldn't take that long to reach me. I turned out that by the end of Monday the reins had been shipped from Colorado to New Mexico, and by Wednesday they were delivered to my house in Arizona. Sweet deal. Bombay has been ridden to death lately, so I tried them out on Lostine. She has the shortest neck of all the horses, so they were plenty long on her. I definitely don't need anything longer.

Try as I might, I couldn't get a smile out of Lostine. She acted like I had beat her, and all I did was ride her.

Here Lostine demonstrates how she can still graze with the rein looped over the saddle horn...

I had one of my telepathic chats with her explaining that I'm going to be really busy over the next few weeks, and so it is important that she cooperate with the other ladies who work with her and ride her. I asked her to be gentle with them and do what they ask of her. Then I asked her to explain it to Bombay and Gabbrielle.  I didn't get any indication that she understood, but it was worth a try.

I think I'll ask my trainer for a 10-foot pair in purple to match the purple handy dandy emergency rope / saddle bag ties that Mrs. Mom made for me a while back.  Then if my husband gets a Quarter Horse or QH/Draft mix some day, he can use the 11-footers.  I can still use the 11-footers.  I just have to gather them up correctly.  I don't plan on returning them.  Long can always be shortened, but too short is another story.

In other news, Gabbrielle blew Bombay and Lostine out of the water in how quickly she picked up on the sidepassing exercise.  She was dancing down the fence line to her right in perfect rhythm with my stick.  Going to the left was a bigger struggle for her, but she did improve.  Anytime I train her to do something new, I am always so impressed by her intelligence and willingness to try.

7 comments:

Reddunappy said...

It is so great how you have been able to get back to riding and training your ponies!!!

The weather is starting to dry up some here I want to ride soon!!

I have ridden with my split reins for so long, nothing else is comfortable! LOL I tried a mecate but all that extra rope just kept tripping me up! literally!! LOL LOL

achieve1dream said...

Go Gabrielle! :D

I'm glad you found some reins that will work until your news ones are made. The purple is pretty!

fernvalley01 said...

glad you found something that will work,11 ft is still plenty long think you will like the shorter ones bettter

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow...those are some mega long reins. I'm glad you decided to try the trail length roping reins, though.
I prefer the flat trail length roping reins, as the round ones just feel so bulky, especially when I gather them up in one hand. I also like to be able to slip the reins between my pinkie and ring finger, or ring finger and middle finger when I am direct reining, and I can't do that with the thick round reins. The flat reins just feel nicer in the hands.

Performance Tack has a nice selection of 10' long, flat roping reins, that are very affordable.
Here's their link if interested:
http://www.performancetack.com/rope%20reins%20flat.html

I think purple is a perfect color for Lostine, too! She looks pretty in her purple halter.

I recently ordered a pair of custom-made, braided 10' long roping reins in turquoise and purple, from High Point Farm and Tack.
(Here's their facebook page, if you're interested. Naomi makes some amazing horse items!: https://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Point-Farm-And-Tack/332152300145434

And I also bought Apache three new halters, one in purple and one in turquoise. And one in red and white (for the Christmas parade this November)

I'm pretty excited!

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - Thanks for the links. The whole reason why I'm switching to the round rope reins is because the flat reins get stuck between the saddle pad and the horse's withers, and I can't pull their heads around because they get unintended resistance from the outside rein. Maybe if the flat loop reins were short enough they wouldn't get caught, but that would lead to other problems with them being too short. I just have to pick the lesser of two evils.

strivingforsavvy said...

I have those reins and love them!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I wonder why they get stuck?

I've never had that problem. And I only use 10' long cotton flat reins. Nothing else. I wonder if always having a horn bag on the front of my saddle prevents the reins from getting stuck in between the saddle pad and withers?
Or perhaps it's the fact that I always use an endurance-style breast collar, with the wither strap?

Hmmm! Interesting to ponder! lol!

~Lisa