Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Nature Walk

This morning I stepped outside and got a chill, so I went back in to get a sweater.  I knew I had to take advantage of these nice temperatures before we soar into the 90's, so I grabbed my camera, my walking stick, and my horse.  By the time I got the halter on Bombay, it was time to shed the sweater.  Literally only minutes had passed since I put it on.  Once we hit the trails just minutes after I removed the sweater, I was sweating from head to toe.  That's how quickly the temperatures rise in the desert.

Apparently, I missed the best part of the window of opportunity to take pictures of wildflowers this spring.  I should have gone hiking some time over the past two weekends to catch everything when it was fresh, but I did notice some wildflowers at the tail end of their bloom on my trail ride yesterday.  Though not even 24 hours had passed, many of those flowers were gone by the time I got out there with my camera.  Here are a few shots I got...

The ocotillos have these red blossoms on their tips.  They remind me of underwater sea plants.



Berries...

Yellow in the foothills...

Those are the trails I should have been hiking.  Why does tax season have to be in the best part of the year to be outdoors?

Bombay was being his usual jerky self, yanking on the lead rope each time I tried to take a picture.  I'd swear he was laughing.

This next picture came out poorly framed because Bombay decided to graze right then and yank the lead rope again...

This one is kind of cheating since it is a blooming cactus planted in someone's yard and not out in the desert, but I love the fuchsia next to the cowgirl boot.

And then there is the prettiest flower of them all...


4 comments:

Willow said...

Bombay is so handsome ! Loved the boot ~

Crystal said...

Love those Ocotillos, they are so neat, I wish they woulda bloomed when I was down there.
What a cute horsey smile :)

Cut-N-Jump said...

The yellow in the picture after the ocotillo bloom is a creosote bush and they smell so nice during and after the rains. The other yellow you will see in the desert is palo verde trees- litterally covered in blossoms. Quite beautiful in the desert this time of year.

achieve1dream said...

All great photos, but I just love the last one! What a great expression. :D Deserts are so pretty when they are in bloom (never seen it in person though). Will it bloom again if you get more rain or is it done for the year? I'm glad you're enjoying your new home for the most part. :)