Monday, April 22, 2013

Sitting With This Evening's Critters

I finally got some shots of the Cardinal. The first few were through a window and screen door, so they didn't turn out well, but I did get a couple of clear shots after I stepped outside and caused the Cardinal to fly away...


I nearly stumbled upon this litter of babies while walking out to the barn.  I figured that as soon as I took their picture, they'd run down their hole, but the opposite happened.  With each click of the camera, more and more little heads started popping up out of the ground to investigate what was making that clicking noise...


Look at those huge feet!  Their feet are longer than the rest of their legs and they look like zombies walking upright.


My research shows them as being round tailed ground squirrels.

Where there are bunnies, there are quail...


The baby bunny below is only slightly bigger in the body than a manure dropping...

It was tough getting everything in focus because I was using a telephoto lens.  The horses didn't cooperate in keeping their distance...

Both Bombay and Gabbrielle entertained themselves by pulling my hat off my head while I sat in their feed trough waiting for more critters to appear.

11 comments:

Crystal said...

That bunnies ears look huge! And the gophers do look like zombies, lol. They are a little different than our gophers but sounds like they are just as curious

Reddunappy said...

Quite the zoo! LOL
Love the cardinal! We dont have those on the North West coast.
Darn squirrels are so cute!! Remind me of that show that was on Animal Planet, about the Meerkats!
Silly horses!

Karen Burch said...

Your round tailed ground squirrels look like prairie dog pups to me.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yes, the reading I did about them said they are often mistaken for being prairie dogs.

Sam said...

Cute!

Sam

Katharine Swan said...

My first thought about the squirrels was the same as Karen's, but then I realized their tails are too long for prairie dogs. Too cute!

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, yes...SPRING has sprung! Love the baby ground squirrels! I need to look for baby quail this weekend.

lilyrose said...

I love seeing the cardinals. We also have lots of hummingbirds. The ground squirrels are kinda cute but a royal PITA. Be careful to watch out as they dig LOTS of holes and it can become a huge problem for your horses. We pull weeds and fill in holes every spring to discourage them from populating here. Their numbers increase amazingly fast and they are a favorite meal for rattlesnakes.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

lilyrose - If they attract rattlesnakes, then I'll definitely start filling in those holes.

achieve1dream said...

I LOVE that last picture!!!! So cool! And the one of the cardinal flying is amazing! I love the other ones too. Those squirrels and rabbits are adorable. :D

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Spring in Arizona is teeming with wildlife! I bet it is fun to have all those critters visiting your place...minus the rattlers, of course!

~Lisa