Thursday, April 25, 2013

Walking on Eggshells

It's fly season here in Arizona and the Fly Eliminators, the fly attractants in fly traps, and the fly sprays all seem to be completely worthless, so I'm trying to keep the fly masks on the horses. The vet asked me yesterday why my horses weren't wearing fly masks. I said, "Because they rip them off each other's faces and dunk them in the water troughs."

She just smiled knowingly and continued with her physical examinations.

Just now I looked outside and saw that Bombay had managed to detach Gabbrielle's fly mask and she was in the process of trying to shake it off her face into the water trough. She knows that if she drops it on the ground, I will just pick it up and put it back on her face. So, now she gets it wet, because then I hang it out to dry for a day before putting it back on her face. I'm starting to think that I should teach her a lesson and make her wear the wet fly mask.

Anyway, I ran outside to attach the straps before she dumped it, and upon returning to the house, I found chewed up eggshells all over the floor. I had just finished eating a couple of hard boiled eggs and didn't have time to clean up after myself before running outside to rescue the fly mask. Now someone is in trouble...

Can you say "Scrappy will be sh*tting eggshells" ten times?

4 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Nope...I can't. lol!

~Lisa

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, heck! If it isn't one thing, it's another! My black lab got into the trash bag one evening and I stumbled out the next morning to find garbage ALL over the living room floor. Turns out, she wanted the container that the chicken legs came in! I notice the dogs' ears are getting eaten away while I leave them outside during the day...I don't know what to put on them...sigh...

Cindy D. said...

Perhaps they would like the fringe style fly masks better?
Last summer when the flies were bad here I started putting "Natures Edge" around their eyes and it really helped.

achieve1dream said...

Cheryl could you try vaseline or bag balm for your dogs' ears or would they lick it off of each other?

NM, I think I would totally make her wear the mask wet. There are horses who wear their's every day all day, rain or shine and having it rained on never seems to hurt anything. She's smart to have figured that out though, naughty girl!