Monday, June 3, 2013

I Smell Bad

This was one of those days when I purposefully didn't have anything on my calendar beyond taking the trash to the curb.  I purposefully wore no make up, and I purposefully dressed like crap in spandex pants.  This was going to be my lazy day to avoid going out into public.  Boy, was I surprised when a strange man knocked on my back door.

I stared at him from the couch in shock thinking Arizonans are some of the weirdest people I've met.  Who just walks into someone's back yard and knocks on their back door?  If someone did that back in Nevada, or California where I grew up, they'd be shot... or at least eaten alive by the dogs that guard the back yard.  Then I began to wonder if he was here to rob me, and was just knocking to make sure no one was home.

Of course, my dogs went nuts throwing themselves at the glass door and barking.  I opened a window and yelled out, "I can't answer the door, because my dogs will attack you!"

He said, "Okay.  I'm here to deliver your hay.  Do you want it on the pallets back here?"

Hay?  The delivery was two days early.  I directed him to the pallets and said I'd be out in a minute.  This was feeling like deja vu.  The previous day I had worn no make up and dressed in spandex pants, and had a surprise, speedy delivery of alfalfa.  This time it was a surprise, premature delivery of Bermuda grass.  My horses hate grass hay, but the vet wants the mares to be cut back to at least one meal a day of grass instead of alfalfa, because they are both overweight.

Last year I couldn't find anyone who would deliver grass hay, so I had to pick it up myself at the feed store and pay retail prices.  I've learned that hay farmers consider the location where I live to be "way out there in the sticks."  They don't like to drive the distance, so I was happy to finally find a distributor who was okay with it.  The bales of grass were nice and much heavier than usual, so I bought everything they had on the trailer.  Apparently, Arizona hay is already being shipped out overseas to countries that have hay shortages, something that normally doesn't happen until October, and that is driving the price of hay up.  The more hay that gets shipped out, the less hay for us locals, so I figured I'd better stock up.

Since I was outside, I figured I may as well cut Rock loose with the other horses and pull up a chair.

The three amigos congregated around me and kept a wary eye on Rock from a distance...

Gabbrielle showed me what she thought of my whip by trying to eat it...

She's saying, "Please, Mom.  Let me kick that new horse's butt without you cracking the whip at me."

Bombay couldn't get enough love...

I spent some time just hanging out with each of the horses letting them know that just because there is a new horse in the barn, it does not mean that I am replacing them.  They are all a part of the family.  I did explain to Gabbrielle that P.S. will be her main rider for now on because Gabbrielle is so petite that she needs a lightweight rider.  But that doesn't mean I don't want to ride Gabbrielle.  I just don't want to crush her.

Bombay invited Rock over to play Jolly Ball Tug of War with him...


It was great fun until Gabbrielle got jealous and broke it up...

Rock stayed at a distance...

But then pushed his boundaries and got chased off again...

Note how Bombay caves in to Gabbrielle's demands and joins her in chasing his friend off.  Then he tries to get Gabbrielle to play Jolly Ball Tug of War with him, but she just ignores him...

He can't get her to kick the ball, so he tries getting her to bite the ball, but that doesn't work...

(Yes, she's wearing my hat in that picture.)

Well, Gabbrielle, if you aren't interested in playing with the Jolly Ball, the least you could do is let the boys have their fun.

I ended up spending the majority of the day out in the 105 degree heat and now I smell like a dirty diaper.  It's a good thing we've got a Jacuzzi tub in our bathroom.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Nice hay! Where are you getting it delivered from?

Sam

achieve1dream said...

I LOVE the pictures!!! Especially the one of you cuddling with Bombay and the one of him shoving the ball in her face. That is so funny, especially with your hat hehe.