Saturday, June 29, 2013

Liebster Award

Beckz of I Will Jump Sweet Jumps blog awarded my with the Liebster Blog Award.  I want to thank her for that.  I began blogging in 2007, and though everything about the blog world has been changing, I still enjoy it.  If anything, blogging has helped me develop a thicker skin.  I remember that within a few hours of publishing my first post, a comment appeared that was essentially along the lines of, "You're an idiot.  You should not be allowed to own horses and dogs..."


HOW TO ACCEPT THE AWARD: The Liebster Blog Award is a way to recognize blogs who have less than 200 followers.  Liebster is a German word that means beloved and valued.  Here are the rules for accepting the award:

   1. Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog.
   2. List 11 random facts about yourself.
   3. Answer the 11 questions given to you.
   4. Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate.
   5. Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or fewer followers to nominate and include links to their blogs.
   6. Go to each blogger's page and let them know you have nominated them.


11 Random Facts About Myself:

1.  I blow raspberries on my dogs' bellies and my horses' muzzles.
2.  I'm superstitious about cleaning.  I hesitate to clean house because I know that as soon as I do, the dogs will get sick and have accidents on the carpet, everyone including myself will track in mud and pebbles, and a pipe under my sink will burst leaving me kitchenless for a month.  It's like rain arriving right after you wash your car.
3.  Apparently, I find myself to be so boring that I can't even come up with a third random fact that I think others might find interesting.
4.  My goal each day is to survive it with a minimum amount of stress and hassles, but so far the only part of that goal I've achieved is surviving each day.
5.  I'm such a homebody that I consolidate all of my errands into one afternoon a week so that I only have to leave my property once a week.  On the other hand, I can't really leave the ranch much because I'm playing vet to sick and injured animals round the clock.
6.  I like word puzzles.  When I'm in waiting rooms, I make up my own.
7.  On the other hand, I'm so bad at math that I can't do simple multiplication to figure out my bill when the hay deliveries arrive.  I have a mental block when it comes to numbers.  I still forget my phone number, my pin number, my SSN, my zip code, my age, and what year it is.  I'm incapable of memorizing anything.  I'm not functioning very well in today's secret code society.  I have been blocked from closing my own account because I couldn't recall the answers to any of my security questions.
8.  I used to hunt for gems as a hobby until people ruined it by showing up to my special spots, blasting their music and letting their kids run wild in my dig location.  Same thing with fishing.  Loved the solitude of hanging out in nature at my secret fishing hole until people found me and jumped in the water to swim right where my line was cast.  I'll do anything for some alone time, and when people start closing in on me, I feel claustrophobic.
9.  I feel more comfortable at a zoo than a movie theater.
10.  If I eat in a restaurant where the table smells like a dirty dishrag, I won't return.
11.  My feet have an odd shape and tread pattern to them, so every piece of footwear I own causes me pain.  As a result, I usually have to change my shoes throughout the day to spread the pain around.


Questions from Beckz:

1.Who was your favourite horse?
Are you kidding?  That's like asking me to pick a favorite child.  I can't play favorites.  I love them all equally.

2.Why?
Because it's the right thing to do.  ; )

3.What person has most affected negatively or positively your attitude towards riding?
My husband.  (Positively.)

4.Why?
Without his encouragement, support, and hard labor, I would be living a horseless life.  I always loved horses, but never expected to own one, none-the-less four.  Every horse I own is a direct result of my husband's doing.  He talked to my neighbors about letting him buy Bombay for me.  Then he gave me a blank check to pick out a horse to keep Bombay company.  That was Lostine.  Then he let me search high and low for a broodmare, who I ended up never breeding.  That was Gabbrielle.  Most recently, he wanted a horse for himself so that he can get in on this obsession I've had my whole life.  That's Rock.

He gave me his company bonus check to help put a down payment on a truck and horse trailer.  He helped build our old barn and fencing.  He planted our pasture.  Most recently, he constructed a round pen.  He takes care of the horses when I'm sick or injured or out of town.  Now he is tolerating having me teach him horsemanship skills.

5.What are the three things you couldn't live without?
Water, shade, and a cool breeze.

6.If you couldn't compete/take part in the discipline you do now, what sort of riding would you do?
All I do right now is trail riding.  It's really all I want to do.  I'm not interested in competing.  The two halter classes I entered Gabbrielle in were so stressful that they kind of ruined any desire I would have to compete with my horses.  I ride to relax.  So, I guess if I couldn't trail ride, I'd just go in circles in a round pen.

7.What is your dream job?
I've been trying to figure that out for years.  I think I would be happiest being a full-time writer, but life keeps getting in the way, so I'm more like a seasonal writer, only writing when all the calamities settle out.  Unfortunately, my second novel has been stuck at being about 80% done for the past two years thanks to a slew of unexpected hassles that keep sucking up all my time.

8. If you were given $100,000 tax free what would you buy first?
I would buy time.  I'd use the money to maintain my current lifestyle (or even something less) for as long as possible without having to work outside the home.  I don't currently work outside the home except for the occasional photography assignment, so I'd probably hire someone to help me deal with these daily hassles in order to allow me to do more of what I would like to do.

9. Do you like Feijoas?
I never tried it.

10.When you are all worn out and need a drink, what is it that you drink?
Water.  I probably drink 8 tumblers of water a day.

11.What are your favourite pair of footwear.
My lace up Ariat paddock boots have never failed me.  They are the only boots I own that I can get away with wearing all day.  They do weigh down on me and feel hard on my soles at the end of the day, but I can tolerate that more than my boots that rub.  I've had them since I first started riding Bombay over 10 years ago.


Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate.

1.  Guinea pigs or rabbits?
2.  Now that the important question is out of the way, who is your hero and why?
3.  What problem do you have that keeps coming back to haunt you?
4.  What is the best thing that ever happened to you?
5.  What do you do to relax?
6.  Favorite space?
7.  How do you deal with annoying people?
8.  What task have you been meaning to do for a long time, but just keep putting off?
9.  Go without your mobile phone for a week or go without television for a week?
10.  Why do you blog?
11.  Oh, crap.  I just realized that I published this with only 10 questions.  Okay, the 11th question is:  What do you do to improve your memory?


Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or fewer followers to nominate and include links to their blogs.
(I actually can't tell if some of these have 200 or fewer followers, but who cares.)

1.  Bay State Brumby
2.  Horseshoes and Hearts
3.  Desert Horses
4.  Boots and Saddles
5.  A Horse Crazy American in Germany
6.  Adventures with Shyloh

I just realized how hard this is going to be, because so many bloggers have already been nominated for this award and it is very difficult to follow through on all the rules once, none-the-less twice.  I also wanted to choose bloggers who are still very active, but this is a busy time of year for horse bloggers, so not many of my regular reads are around.  Also, the RSS Feed widget I'm used to using just went out of business yesterday and is no longer available, so I need a new routine for reading blogs.  Beyond that, as soon as I tried leaving comments on some blogs to notify people that they've been nominated, my browser locked up... repeatedly.  I'll work on notifying people when my computer is better behaved.  I spent all day Thursday backing up my computer because it crashed.  So, I'll stop at six and call it good.  I've been working on this post for several days and need to quit while I'm ahead, because I fear I may never get it done at the rate things are going.

7 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Thank you so much for the award! I'm working on my answers and trying to figure out who to nominate next!
~~Cheryl Ann~~ (I'm staying indoors today, since it is so darn HOT outside!)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Congratulations on your award.

Have you ever tried the Blundstone paddock boots. I have trouble with shoes too and can never find paddock boots that were comfy and wide enough. These are.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

GHM - Hadn't heard of Blundstone. I'll look into them. Thanks.

Beckz said...

Awesome answers Nuzzling Muzzles!

Crystal said...

I like these awards, and all the answers to questions we never knew we had ;)

Mel said...

Thanks so much for the nomination! I will try to get around to putting a post up on this......With Tevis coming up I have posts coming out of my ears!

Allison B said...

Thanks!
1. I guess rabbits since I have one. But she is mean.
2. Hero. . .that's a tough one. I really can't pick just one.
3. Anxiety. It is always getting in the way of things I want to do.
4. My family and animals
5. Watch TV, read, or just groom Shy.
6. My couch. So comfy.
7. I ignore them.
8. Put clothes away? I hate doing that.
9. No TV.
10. I started blogging to keep a diary of our progress, but it has become more stories of my interaction with Shy and what we are doing.
11. Write stuff down.