Saturday, July 20, 2013

Riding Rock

My husband was hoping to take a trail ride with me today, but despite the lower temperatures, the humidity was so intense that it felt really uncomfortable outside.  So, instead he took Rock for a quick spin in the round pen.  I have given him lessons on tacking up before, so I stood back and directed, giving him hints on what to do next.  Watching someone who has never bridled a horse before try to do it with minimal help makes me realize how incredibly complicated it is.  It really takes a lot of coordination, fine motor skills, observation skills, understanding the order of what to put where, and having good timing.

My husband was really happy with his new Tex Tan Seminole saddle.  He said it was like riding in an Oldsmobile or Buick luxury car.  He had lots of room and no pain in his rear or knees.  Rock was pretty good about being ridden by someone different.  He did run out of gas after a while and kept stopping to rest while being asked to walk, and he didn't want to be steered away from me when I stood in the center.  My presence is a hindrance to whoever is riding him, but I didn't want to just leave, because the horse is still inconsistent in following cues.  He doesn't do anything dangerous.  He's just strong-willed.  Also, this was probably my husband's third or fourth time riding a horse.

After my husband rode, I rode, and I realized how much I suck at giving horseback riding lessons.  He started pointing out things that I was doing that were working with Rock that I did not tell him to do, like how I was holding a rein out to the side when asking for a turn rather than pulling one rein straight back.  I told him there are a lot of things I do that I don't realize I do, so it would probably be better if I gave riding lessons from another horse's back while he rode Rock.  That way I can do whatever I do, show him and explain it to him while I'm doing it, instead of trying to remember what I do in the saddle while I'm standing on the ground.  I tend to just regurgitate what my equitation instructors taught me through the years rather than really studying what I do out of habit that works.

I was showing Rock some of the strange things that people do when sitting in the saddle like shifting my weight around and making fake gastric noises.  He just kind of looked back at me like I was weird.  At one point when my husband was adjusting the cinch, Rock made a noise that sounded like a pig snorting, and then when we were removing his tack, he belched really deep and low.  I said, "Good boy, Rock.  You'll fit in with this family just fine."


5 comments:

Crystal said...

He sounds like the perfect husband horse! And it is hard telling someone something that you do without thinking.

Cheryl Ann said...

They do sound like a great pair!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

One story I forgot to tell: Rock actually does have manners. Each time I tried to pick up a hind hoof to pick it out, he swung his butt away from me. He's normally very good about holding still for hoof work. I stood up and back, trusting that he had good reason for evading me picking up his hind feet. Sure enough, he lifted his tail and pooped. He had to go and just didn't want to poop on me.

Reddunappy said...

He is a cutie!!

fernvalley01 said...

good boy! Yup sounds like he will fit in fine