Saturday, August 31, 2013

After the Storm

We finally got a torrential downpour, about 1.7 inches of rain in just a few hours last night, and after any good storm, the creatures come out.  I was attacked by a Palo Verde Beetle when feeding the horses this morning.  It was trying to burrow into the flake of hay that I was scooping up into my arms to deliver to the horses, and it didn't like me disturbing its nest.  I'm sure my neighbors were surprised to hear me screaming before sunrise.  I made a point of batting at the beetle in the air, so that they would know it was just a bug.

Then tonight after I fed the horses their dinner and was taking the dogs out to pee, I ran into this guy.




I was so excited to see a snake, especially a kingsnake.  I would have been excited to see a rattlesnake too, but it's better to have the non-venomous ones around.  I raced the dogs back into the house before they spotted it, and called out to my husband, because I knew he had been waiting all year to see another snake too.  Then I ran back in a second time to get my camera.  It's been a really light year when it comes to seeing snakes around the property.  It's probably in part because of us putting up the barns and fencing, and in part because it hasn't rained as much this summer.  But summer isn't over yet.  Twenty-one days until fall.

4 comments:

Dreaming said...

The snake is pretty. I don't mind them, as long as I am not surprised by them... same thing with beetles. I looked up your Palo Verde Beetle .... uh, not my kind of guy at all!

Snipe said...

Kingsnakes prey on rattlesnakes, so this guy is helpful around the place.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, what a beautiful kingsnake! Yes, you are lucky to have him around! :-)

Cindy D. said...

Oh he is a beauty!