Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sweaty Cabin Fever

Who can resist such a face?

It is believed that a lack of light causes depression, but I can tell you that we've got plenty of sunlight in Arizona, and what causes depression is simply not being able to go outdoors due to extreme temperatures.  I used to associate cabin fever with being snowed in for long periods of time, but now I've got cabin fever from being boiled in for long periods of time.

The desert is calling my name, but most days I can't make it off my porch before I hear my blood bubbling through my veins.  It's so hard having all those horseback riding trails and hiking trails right outside my door, and I can't even make it through the gate without passing out from heat exhaustion.  Yesterday the skies were cloudy, which I mistook for being cool outside, so I got out early to work with Rock.

I lunged him without a saddle, and then with a saddle.  The heat comes on so fast that I know I only have a short window to mount and ride before either the horse or I die.  Just when I was about to mount, Rock took off at a full gallop with his back hunched up doing these little bucks all the way around the pen with his tail between his legs.  When he settled down I just looked at him and said, "Well, that was nuts."

I decided not to let his little tantrum or spaz attack deter me from riding him.  If I didn't mount soon, I'd pass out from being on my feet in the heat.  I must weigh a thousand pounds, because Rock suddenly couldn't move any faster than an old guy in a walker.  I spent a short time just trying to push him back onto the rail and turn him in tighter circles.  He was sticky, as usual, so all of his training is about making him more responsive.  It's like trying to turn a tank into a sports car.

When I realized that I was just kind of dangling in the saddle half-conscious, I dismounted and removed his tack.  All this sweat gushed out from under his saddle pad and cinch and started running down his legs.  It was as if I had sprayed him with a hose.  Of course, I did spray him with a hose after that.  Then I went in the house and saw that my hair, face, and shirt were soaked through with sweat.  I don't care how much of a lady you are, everyone in Arizona sweats, especially in the humidity of monsoon season.  Perspiration is for ladies in the northern states.  Oh well, at least menopausal hot flashes aren't as noticeable here.

2 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

I would wilt, I find a screaming hot day here too much there I would just melt into a puddle of goo

achieve1dream said...

Depression isn't from lack of light, it's from lack of vitamin D. You can't get vitamin D through glass so yes being trapped indoors from heat is just as bad as being trapped indoors from cold. I have to take a vitamin D supplement year round. :)