Saturday, September 7, 2013

It's a Good Thing Horses Don't Have Thumbs

There are many ways our horses can injure or kill us.  Let me count thy ways:

1.  Kicking
2.  Bucking
3.  Rearing
4.  Striking
5.  Biting
6.  Stomping
7.  Bolting
8.  Trampling
9.  Rolling on top of us
10.  Throwing us
11.  Knocking into us
12.  Stabbing us...

Stabbing us?  Yup.  You can add that new one to the list.  Seriously.  My horse stabbed me today.  Can you take a guess at which horse?

Here's the story.  I asked my husband to help me take a couple of horses for hand walks out in the desert.  I led Bombay and he led Rock.  We were trying to get the horses through the gate without the mares escaping, but Gabbrielle was determined to bust out.  She wasn't going to let her boys go anywhere without her.  

I had to aggressively back her away from the gate so that we could get Rock through.  In the meantime, I still had Bombay on the end of my lead rope.  It was complicated, but we managed to get the correct horses through the gate and get them untangled from each other, and just in the instant I was about to relax, our neighbor fired up his weed whacker just a few yards away and I jumped out of my skin.  Amazingly, the horses were not alarmed, because they had been hearing the noise for a while.  I, on the other hand, nearly needed a change of pants.  I didn't even know he was there.  There should be a rule about yelling out a warning before starting up loud machines, kind of like yelling "Fire in the hole!" before detonating an explosion.

We headed out for our walk and at one point Bombay, who was in front, dropped his head to the ground and scooped something up in his mouth.  I looked over to see him carrying this two-foot long stick in his mouth like a dog with its bone.  Just then, I heard my husband yell something and as I turned around to see what was going on, Bombay also turned his head, stabbing me in the rib cage with the stick, which happened to be whittled down to a very sharp point.  Then I screamed and jumped back.

We later sorted out what happened.  When Bombay slowed to pick up the stick, Rock tried to bite him on the butt, and my husband corrected Rock and chastised him with, "No biting!"  

In fact, Rock had tried several times to bite Bombay on the butt, which makes me wonder if he really is the great trail horse he was made out to be by the seller.  He acts like a horse with poor trail manners who would not be popular with the other horses and riders on group rides.

Anyway, Bombay carried that stick in between his teeth the rest of the way home until we reached the gate, and then he tossed it off to the side of the trail.  I'm curious if he'll remember where it is and try to pick it up on the way out on our next walk, kind of like a dog that buries its bone only to dig it up later.

My stab wound is still burning several hours later.  It's a good thing horses don't have thumbs, because we might have to add "shoot us" to the list of ways they can injure or kill us.

3 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, my goodness! What next? (...shaking head...)
~~Cheryl Ann~~

Once Upon an Equine said...

Don't let Gabrielle pick up any sticks or she and Bombay might figure out how to make fire.

fernvalley01 said...

yikes