Saturday, October 19, 2013

Recommendations

I have had some good luck with trying out new products and would like to recommend them.  I wanted a second horn bag, because I ride in two different saddles and my old horn bag's water bottle holder was more like a Dixie cup holder.  If I rode at any pace faster than a walk, the water bottle would bounce out.  I got a deep water bottle pouch that I can clip on to a saddle ring to make up for it, but I didn't want to have to untie/unsnap those two pieces of tack off one saddle and move them to another.  I figure the less energy I expend tacking up, the more energy I have to ride.

So, I began my search for a new horn bag with a generous water bottle holder.  I visited three tack stores in my area and only found horn bags without water bottle holders.  I suspect they were sold out, because everyone in the desert wants to carry water with them.  I dug around on the Internet and decided on this Showman horn bag made with insulated cordura, double pockets on one side and two water bottles on the other side.  The two plastic bottles came with it, and it cost considerably less than comparable horn bags that did not include bottles.  This brand has a good selection of colors...

I chose purple.

You can carry drinks on one side, a sandwich, snacks, and camera on the other.  It is the perfect size to carry enough stuff without getting in the way.  Here's a link to one place you can order them:

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/WBH899

Several years ago I won my lime green cordura mobile phone holder for horseback riders in a blog contest.  I loved it, because I could just clip it onto my belt loop and go.  I didn't have to thread my belt through it when I got dressed and wear it all day.  Sometimes I get so bloated that I don't want to wear a belt.  Because the attachment was not stiff, but could swing around, it didn't get in the way when I mounted and dismounted.  The clip feature was my favorite part.

Well, I bought a larger mobile phone and it doesn't fit in my old holder.  The bottom of the holder is getting holes and the Velcro doesn't stick as well as it used to.  It was time to get a new one.  I did get a hard cell phone cover that clips onto my pocket with a stiff plastic clip reminiscent of what you find on a clipboard, but it often popped off and fell on the ground when I mounted and dismounted my horse.  So, I searched the Internet for mobile phone pouches for horseback riders, but most of what is available is too small for today's smartphones and attaches as an arm or leg band, or you must thread your belt through it.  I ended up finding these handmade leather pouches with swivel clips on Etsy.



https://www.etsy.com/shop/MountainRagz?ref=listing-shop-header-item-count

They are made by MountainRagz in North Carolina.  They are lightweight and large enough to hold a mobile phone and keys or a camera.  If you don't want to clip them onto your belt loop, you can clip them onto your saddle.

Lastly, I stumbled upon a restaurant franchise named Firehouse Subs and ate the most delicious sandwich ever.  They had a soda machine that could output just about any flavor of any soda, so I mixed my own.  I had a combination of raspberry and strawberry lemonade.  Ever since I relocated, I've been searching for a place to eat where the food is memorable, and this is it.

http://www.firehousesubs.com/

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I like the cell phone pouches. I just recently bought one from Back in the Saddle and like it well enough. It also clips on a belt. I like the clips on your pouches better though, the look like the would be easy to clip on a belt loop on jeans without a belt. Thanks for this.

Karen Burch said...

I hope your horn bag lasts longer than my cantle bag did. I purchased a cantle bag from the same manufactorer and only used it three times before it ripped completely apart.

ryde2rope said...

I also had a Bag from Showman it fell apart. I also purchased a Hay bag.. fell apart the first time I used it.It frayed at the seam. Not impressed with any Showman product. The leather items are made from inferior leather and will crack and split.
Love the little phone bag but .. NEVER hook to saddle in-case you and your horse part ways on the trail ..he will have the phone and you will not be able to call for help. Always keep it on your person.:)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Okay, that's bizarre that these Showman products would just fall apart. I guess I'll just have to keep my mouth shut about what I like. I'll just say I like the design of this bag, but apparently it needs to be constructed better.

I know the "rule" about keeping your cell phone on your body and not the horse. I was just saying that if someone is uncomfortable with hooking it to themselves, and perhaps they keep something in the pouch other than their cell phone...

achieve1dream said...

Um what Showman stuff are the other comments talking about? I don't see anything in your post about Showman.... I really like the look of that horn bag!! I might have to get me one next summer. :D

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

achieve1dream - We are talking about the purple horn bag I bought. They probably use fabric with a wider weave and the wrong kind of stitching. Mine is still holding together just fine, but I don't carry a lot of heavy stuff in it.

achieve1dream said...

Oh ok! I looked at the link and didn't see where it said Showman so I was confused. :) I'm glad yours is holding up well!