Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Walking and Jogging and Walking and Jogging

When the weather is blustery, the horses get uppity, so I don't care to ride them, but they make for great jogging partners.  Yesterday Bombay accompanied me and today Lostine was my running partner.  Bombay is the only horse who understands how to stay at my side and keep the same pace as I do.  Lostine would walk until she hit the end of the rope behind me and then trot, but she's such a fast trotter that she'd pass me up and then hit the end of the rope in front of me and go back down to a walk.  Eventually, she figured out that if she trotted ahead of me and had to stop, she may as well take advantage of the waiting time for me to catch up by eating whatever she could sink her teeth into.

I'm not sure what happened, but there was a loud explosive noise like thunder and a big wind came up at the same time, and that sent Lostine into a tizzy.  She didn't want to walk or eat at all anymore.  She just wanted to race home, so in the interest of horse training, I had to stop jogging and make her walk beside me, and then stand still to collect her head.  If I want to make my exercise a priority, I'm better off not bringing the horses along.  Time is of the essence, though, so I like to kill two birds with one stone.

Here are some pictures of Bombay's outing:



The sky was getting dark enough that my flash went off!  Despite it being almost cold at times, it's still fly season, so I got another batch of Fly Eliminators today.  There is a noticeable decrease in the fly population when I sprinkle the little Eliminators around.  I just have to be careful to do it at dusk when it is not windy, and pour them into safe locations where birds can't get to them.