Friday, November 29, 2013

Panning

After not having a successful panning attempt with Lostine last week, I tried again with Bombay today and still couldn't get the horse in focus while the background was speeding past. My husband came out and offered to control the horse's speed so that I could concentrate on my posture, keeping the camera level, and just turning my upper body at the waist at the exact same speed as the horse. That helped, but Bombay was too pooped to run anymore, so we switched him out with Gabbrielle, and that girl can gallop!




I'm happier with these photos.  The horse is in better focus, the lighting is better with it being sunset, and she looks pretty.  You can tell I panned smoothly because the railings are straight.  I still couldn't capture her within the outside third of the frame, though.  While I was panning, her tail was right at the back of the frame while looking through the viewfinder, but in every photo she came out right smack in the middle.  I also would have liked to see more sky and less dirt.  This is so difficult to pull off, though, so I'll just give myself an "A" for effort.  Now I have to do the assignment again for another class, but not with an animal.

9 comments:

achieve1dream said...

Cool!!! Those are awesome!! Were you using a tripod?? If you didn't how the heck did you keep the rails that straight free hand? I'm impressed. :D

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I was my own tripod. Try standing with your feet solid on the ground, hip width apart, hold the camera body with one hand and the bottom of the lens with the other, arms tucked in at your sides, and when the horse comes into frame, turn at the waist at the same speed as the horse while holding down the shutter release at about 1/15 of a second. The horse has to be passing by in a horizontal line. If it turns toward or away from you, it doesn't work.

Cheryl Ann said...

Cool photos! I'm going to have to try that!

Dreaming said...

Very nice! You captured the sense of motion so well, I got dizzy just looking at the picture.

Laura Lee said...

Wow, look at her GO!

Jess Schira said...

The trot photo is stunning. Great job!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Impressive. I like your pics.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Wow! This is the most comments I've had in years. I know hundreds of people visit my blog every week, but I'm not sure who they all are.

Jess - I'm glad you like the trot photo, because that's the one I picked out to show to my class. I was hesitant, but since it stood out for you too, I'll definitely use it.

achieve1dream said...

Thanks for the tips on panning! I will have to try it! Of course I will have to wait until it warms up. When it's cold I shiver and definitely can't hold the camera still lol.