Thursday, November 21, 2013

Shutter Shudder

I'm practicing my shutter speed homework assignments and came out with some fun images of Lostine cantering.  Because it was a cloudy day and the camera was on shutter speed priority, allowing the camera to choose the aperture, the images came out overexposed and ghostly.  However, when I tried to balance out the exposure with software, I found that I preferred the overexposed images.

These two involve panning, but trying to keep the moving object in focus.  As you can see, it's very difficult to do.  I'm going to try again over the next week until I finally get a clear, crisp image of the horse with a blurry background.  Lostine is too tuckered out to do another photo shoot today.

This one was shot at 1/13 of a second...

I love her phantom limbs.

This one was shot at 1/8 of a second.  I think reshooting it as 1/15 of a second might help keep the horse in better focus.

This next photo is freeze action.  The shutter speed is increased to 1/500 of a second.  Because it was a cloudy day, I should have increased my ISO to 400, but I forgot and left it on 200.  The idea is to stop the horse mid-stride, but still allow some movement in the dirt.

I also have to be careful not to place the subject right smack in the center of the frame, but aim for the rule of thirds.  Since the horse is running, the majority of the negative space should be what she is running toward.  It's definitely challenging trying to get the subject in the last 1/3rd of the frame while panning.  The first picture is a better example of good composition.

And here is that silly, comical wide angle photo of Rock saying, "How ya doin?"

It makes him look much thinner than he is in reality.  Those ripples are his fur, not his ribs.  I was in such a hurry on that day that I wiped all the boogers out of his eyes, but didn't dry them before shooting.  One of the criticisms on this photo that we all do is that I didn't notice how the fence line cuts into his face.  You always have to be aware of background lines and how they attach themselves to your subject.  Look for telephone poles and make sure you don't snap the picture right when the pole looks like it is sticking out of the top of your model's head.  Stuff like that.

3 comments:

achieve1dream said...

Rock is soooo cute!! I didn't even notice the fence lol. I forget to watch for stuff like that sometimes.

Those shots of Lostine are so cool. I sometimes prefer the overexposed shots too. :) I want to learn how to do the freeze frame time action shots. I think the blurriness in my photos lately has something to do with the focus on my camera though. I can't get it to focus on action shots at all. I so wish I had not dropped it. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing your photos!!

P.S. I knew he wasn't thin. Mine have the fur ripples too. :)

Cindy D. said...

" How Youuuuu doin" LOL

He looks fuzzy not thin, imo.

fernvalley01 said...

lots to learn, I kinda just point and shoot