Friday, December 27, 2013

Helmet Cam Test

Bombay took me for a trail ride this morning to test out our new GoPro Hero 2 Outdoor Edition camera that my husband gave me for Christmas.  I strapped it to my helmet.  I figured I'd do something stupid to screw up the test, so I kept my expectations low.  Because the camera is tiny, the LED screen is tiny, so I have to put on my strongest reading glasses indoors to see if I'm putting it on the correct settings.  I set it up to videotape, and my understanding was that all I needed to do was push the shutter release once to start recording, and once again to stop.  Simple.

I turned the camera off to save battery and only planned to power it on before I put my helmet on and mounted.  While tacking up, Bombay tensed up and looked sideways at his new teal horn bag.  I had to take it off and show it him, and then put it back on, put a water bottle in it, and lunge him at all paces.  If he was going to flip out over something new touching his neck, I wanted him to do it while I wasn't on his back.  He decided he was okay with it pretty quick.

I powered up the camera, and on the way out we ran into a plastic bag pressed up against a bush right by the road.  Bombay lowered and tilted his head to eyeball the bag and did not want to pass it.  I should have known better.  Everywhere I have lived I've found a ton of trash, wrapping and packaging materials littering my environment right after Christmas, so I should have walked the trail with a garbage bag before going out riding.  Oh well.  I pushed him past the bag, because he wanted to run backwards into the street, and that was more dangerous that just spooking over the stupid bag.

Once out on the trails, I pushed the shutter release to record our ride and pressed it again to stop recording.  I had to turn off the beeps that indicate whether you are turning the video on (one beep) or turning if off (three beeps), because the beeping sent my dog Midge into one of her tizzies.  I figured it would bother the horses at first too, so I kept it off.  Things got complicated when I pressed the shutter release halfway down and wasn't sure if it took, so I pressed it all the way down.  Then I didn't know if I was recording or not, so I just kept reaching up and pushing the button every few minutes.

At one point Bombay decided to show me how brave he was by marching up to a beaver tail cactus that he usually spooks at and trying to take a bite out of it.  I was distracted and didn't realize what he was doing until he almost had his lips wrapped around it.  I pulled his head up and said, "No!  You don't eat cactus!"

I had hoped I got that on film, because it was rather humorous, especially since he didn't get hurt.  I got home and plugged my camera into my computer only to find out that I had no videos.  They were all .jpg images or still shots.  Apparently, when I turned the camera on outside, I switched it from video mode to camera mode, because the power button also switches modes.  So, I'll have to just set up the correct mode indoors with my reading glasses next time, and leave the camera on so that I don't have to touch the mode button again.  Here are a few of the shots I unknowingly took...



Because the camera is wide angle, and because it's impossible for me to hold my head perfectly straight, the earth is tilted in most of the shots.  You can see me reaching up to press the shutter release on the camera on my helmet in the shadow images.  It sure is nice to not have to dig around in my horn bag for a camera anymore.  I don't have to mess with removing the lens cap and finding the power button followed by the shutter release button, then hold it up to my eye to make sure my horse is in the frame.  With the helmet cam, I just look down at my horse and he's in frame.

I'm going to try to ride Rock today too, so hopefully I'll have better luck getting video then.

2 comments:

Cindy D. said...

Oh man!!!!! That is soo cool!

achieve1dream said...

That is so cool!!! I want one lol! I love the pictures you got. :D