Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Funny Read or Two

My daughter lent this book to me:  Let's Pretend This Never Happened, (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson, The Bloggess.  My daughter said she read it in one sitting and laughed out loud all the way through it.  I took considerably longer, as it's usually impossible for me to read more than two sentences before someone interrupts or all hell breaks loose around me, but I did laugh out loud quite a bit.  This book was based on stories she told on her blog:  http://thebloggess.com/.

I'm not writing an official, professional sounding book review for it, simply because there is already tons of information about the book and author all over the Internet, but I will say that one of my favorite lines, one which most of us can appreciate (or be insulted by), is this:  "Most bloggers are emotionally unstable and often awkward in social situations, which is why so many of us turned to blogging in the first place."

Lawson's stories are so outrageous and written with wit that builds upon wit that I convince myself that she is totally exaggerating only to find that she supplies us with pictures in her book as proof that these crazy things really did happen.  Then I go from laughing out loud to suddenly feeling terribly sorry for her.  "Oh, my gosh.  That's horrible.  How can I laugh at that?" I ask myself.   Then I read the next sentence and am laughing even harder than before.

Right after finishing the book, I started up my laptop to discover an email from my son.  He sent me a link that he said made him laugh so hard that he cried.  He told me to read the reviews of this product on Amazon.  I didn't even make it through the first review without having to grab a tissue.  Give it a try.  Let me know if you can contain yourself better than I could:  Haribo Gummy Candy.

But I know I have an odd sense of humor compared to most.  I'm always surprised when I write a humorous post and all the comments begin with the words, "I'm sorry that you..."

Huh?  Sorry?  That was supposed to be funny.

So, let's just say that if you've got a sick sense of humor, read this book and click on those links.

However, I will not take responsibility if you are offended.

In fact, I will probably just laugh at you when I should be apologizing.  Just like when you apologized when you should have been laughing.

4 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

I will have to find the book , as for the review on the gummys! I roared!

lytha said...

That haribo amazon page is funny, and seems to be somewhat true. Although I cannot find any sugarfree haribo gummy bears (other brands yes, haribo no), haribo does have one licorice product that uses stevia and is marketed to diabetics. And I found a great Facebook entry where someone describes how ill he became (in a humorous way) after eating 100 grams of the licorice.

I am still waiting for my husband to take me to the haribo factory - it's only 30 minutes from here! I love haribo - well, not all of it - they have a lot of crazy flavors here.

And because the amazon page was so wonderful, I am sad they messed up the german/english company motto translations. Fix that and the page would be perfect!

I look forward to showing my husband the amazon page when he gets home.

Horseyhabit said...

Holy cow, I could hardly stop laughing at those Gummy Bear reviews!!

I remain, 100%, unoffended. :)

achieve1dream said...

LOL! Yeah my husband's boss showed him the gummies review thing and they spent all day laughing about it and then pranking each other the next day with gummy bears LOL! My husband has the best boss ever. :)

Also I've probably apologized when I should have been laughing before... I apologize way too much anyway, but I also have blonde moments when it comes to humor/sarcasm in written form. :)