Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Moseying Along

I took a trail ride with P.S. this morning.  It started out cold, but warmed up quickly.



There's nothing to report when the horses are so well behaved and relaxed.  We didn't see another soul on the trail, which always helps.  My only snag was that I forgot to readjust the stirrup length after my husband rode, so I mounted and had to take the bend completely out of my knee to reach the stirrups.  I dismounted and fixed them.

I took P.S. past the bush that Rock dumped me in last week and pointed it out to her.  The thorny bush that is growing on the trail that I think was the cause of the accident is growing fast.  It's one of those things that is green with extremely hard, sharp thorns that looks like a rosebush when it first blooms, but eventually becomes a tree, which will screw up that particular bridle trail considerably.  I'm contemplating taking my pick ax out there and digging it up, but don't know if it is legal to do so.  Christine, do you know?

I want to get it out of there, because Rock almost stepped in it again today coming from the opposite direction, and that's my favorite trail to ride.  There are bushes on both sides of the thorny bush, so if we want to keep that trail at all, we'll have to stop this new growth.  We can't just walk around it.

Christine works for the parks, and she taught me that we aren't supposed to remove old rusted cans from trails, because they are considered to be historical artifacts.  New litter can be packed out, though.

We've had a family of coyotes sleeping on our old moldy hay pile in our back yard.  I come out some mornings and the horses alert on them.  My presence wakes up the young ones and they start playing while the mother watches me to make sure I keep my distance.  I've been meaning to remember to bring my camera with me, but so far I've only caught pictures of them through the French doors coming up the alley.


I'm allowing the coyotes to hang out on my property this year, because this group is relatively quiet.  They don't wake us up at night making a ruckus, and they are good with my horses.  They do give me a little more work to do cleaning up poop, but it's not too bad.  Last year I'd chase them off whenever I saw them, because they were eating the rabbits, but this year we don't have as many rabbits, plus the rabbits give us fits by breaking our drip system constantly.  I'd also like for the coyotes to keep the ground squirrel population down, because they create gopher holes that the horses step and fall in.

I'm expecting to see more creatures out and about since it is unseasonably warm for January.  They usually start showing themselves at the end of February, but I don't see how anyone living underground can resist these warm, sunny days.  I'm starting to see holes that look suspiciously like scorpion dens, and I'm beginning to get nervous about walking around the house in my bare feet.  Once the wildlife gets active, all hell breaks loose and we have to adapt to it, and pray that we make it through another year without rattlesnake bites and scorpion stings.

3 comments:

Sam said...

I love those historical artifacts! In AZ, it is against the law to damage vegetation, including cactus and trees. We've pruned bushes back in the past which is still frowned upon, but you can get a pretty hefty fine if you are caught digging them out.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks! Good to know. I knew there were some cactus and trees that were not to be touched, but didn't know it applies to all of them. I ended up putting a bunch of rocks around the little tree so that the horses will go around it instead of through or over it.

fernvalley01 said...

glad you got a good ride, too bad about the bush/tree sounds like you will have to give way to it