Thursday, April 10, 2014

First Saddling

Some of the 2-year-old colts didn't respond so well to their first saddling...






I thought it was interesting that many of the horses stood calmly while being saddled, and only flipped out when lunged at the faster paces with the saddle on.  The pictures make it look terrible, but each horse really only threw a fit that lasted about 30-seconds, and then accepted the saddle on its back.  When in doubt, though, starting bareback may be the best route...




This mare was something special.  I went to the pen containing the horses that were being started by the trainers in the Horseman's Challenge competition, and this mare walked right up to me and nuzzled my hands while the other four horses cowered in the far corner.  I talked to her, telling her how special she is, and she allowed me to pet her all over her face and even accepted having me play with her ears.

I saw that the trainers were getting ready to sort the horses into their pens, so I started to walk away.  The mare turned to walk away too, but then I thought of something else to say to her and I backed up to tell her just how smart of a horse she is, and she actually came right back to me, looked me in the eyes, and listened as if she understood what I was saying.

Spoiler alert...  She and her trainer won the competition.  I suspect there will be a lot of people placing bids on her in the auction.  She not only has a level head and a friendly personality, but unique coloring, nice conformation, and she moves like a dream.  When I last saw Thomas ride her, I would have never guessed that she only had two days under saddle.

I told my husband about her, subconsciously hoping that a fifth stall would magically appear on our property so that I could bring her home, but reality always has to win out.

2 comments:

Cut-N-Jump said...

Cute filly. You might have been able to talk your hubs into her, if you were willing to give up one of the others... because we all know if you build a fifth stall, the sixth will soon follow and need to be filled too. Just sayin'

achieve1dream said...

Dang I would have been looking for an extra stall too. She's pretty and smart. Also this is one reason I started Chrome bareback too hehe. Those pictures are awesome! You have great timing!