Monday, April 28, 2014

Merrily We Spook Along...

By the title, I'm sure everyone knows I must have ridden Bombay today.

But, first things first.  Brenda asked for an update on the playroom squatters.  Well, the old Scrooge in me starting thinking about my childhood, how I had three vacant lots with ponds I could catch polliwogs and frogs in and hills I could climb... until some old Scrooge moved into a house next to one of the vacant lots and would not let me play there.  My dad went over and had a talk with the man, explaining that he doesn't own the land and the neighborhood children had been playing there for years, so he should back off and let the children continue to play there.  I mean, it wasn't like we were screaming and making tons of noise and breaking branches off trees.  We were simply hiking past his property, and he'd come running out to chase us away.  Well, he talked about how dangerous it was for kids to be playing in those hills with the Poison Ivy and whatnot, but what it really came down to was that he wanted his privacy.  The man was more stubborn than my dad, so no one could hike up that lot anymore.  Moral of the story -- I don't want to be that jerk.  So, the playhouse is still there under the tree on my property.  If the kids start causing problems or doing something dangerous, then I will intervene.

Bombay is a sad sack right now.  He's shedding in patches and has bite marks and scratches all over his body.  He hates spring.  The flies drive him crazy.  Shedding drives him crazy.  The other horses drive him crazy.  And because he acts so crazy, I tend to not ride him as much as the other horses.  But the only way to get him into a good mood is to get him out and keep his mind busy, so I rode him today.  Right off the bat he spooked in one giant jump forward when my leg brushed against some branches.  He was pretty keyed up, but as long as he didn't jig, there was nothing to correct.  I just tried to remind him every second that I was on his back.

He spent the majority of the ride either spooking or looking for something to spook at.  Right on cue, we ran into another horseback rider.  It looked like a young boy on a gorgeous gaited Palomino, but I was confused as to what a boy would be doing out of school on a Monday around 1:00 PM.  Maybe he was older than he looked.  Both his horse and my horse spotted each other at the same time and came to a screeching halt to check each other out.  I thought, "Well, thank goodness, my horse isn't the only one who does that."

I pushed Bombay toward him and fortunately it only took one squeeze to get him going.  The boy seemed to want to get away from us as quickly as possible, so he turned down a trail in the opposite direction, which was the trail I was planning on taking.  I knew I should make Bombay follow the other horse to get his confidence up, but if the other horse was nervous, I didn't want to make things dicey for the other rider, so we followed him on an adjacent trail.

I had my helmet cam set to take pictures every 60 seconds again, and got some interesting shots.  This is so fun.  It's like gambling.  I don't know if I won until I get home and upload the photos to my computer.


This next shot is interesting, because our street used to be overgrown with bushes and trees, but the county came through last week and cleared it all away.

Bombay testing out the new hitching post while I get hydrated after our ride...

He looks a bit pissed, because he decided to bite one of the metal rings and hurt his teeth in the process.  I got a perfect shot of the tack room as I was putting his blanket away...

In this next shot, I caught Bombay trying to untie his lead rope from the hitching post.  He wouldn't let go of the rope, so I had to stick my thumb in the side of his mouth.

Picking out hooves...

The farrier is due in a couple of days.  He's going to be mad at me when he sees the condition of my horses' hooves.  I should have been moisturizing them, but was just too sick most of the month, so a lot of my regular responsibilities fell on the wayside.  It's too late to moisturize them now, because the oils ruin his tools if I apply them a few days before he comes to trim them.  Oh well.

Gotta go.  Now it is time for Gabbrielle's loping lesson.

5 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm so excited! I just saw a 3-foot long gopher snake slithering across my driveway. Between all the king snakes, gopher/bull snakes, and Gila Monsters we've had around here, they should be keeping the rattlers at bay.

fernvalley01 said...

good that you got out for a ride on Bombay! poor guy sounds miserable , hope he gets some relief soon

Brenda said...

Oh, poor Bombay. Hopefully his teeth won't hurt too much for very long. I love your random photos from the camera. And thank you for the update on the play room squatters. I can see why you're hesitant to chase them off. I'd still be concerned about liability, but I understand. :)

Venom said...

Holy Cats Nuz...
I don't believe I've ever seen a tackroom so clean! The last time mine looked like that was the day after we bought it. ;-)

achieve1dream said...

I thought the same thing as venom. That is one neat teach room. Make me embarrassed how messy mine is lol. I love the pictures. One of those go pro helmet cams are definitely going on my wish list!!