Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Mounted Shooting

In addition to clinics, the equine festival had many demonstrations.  These are some of the pictures I took of the mounted shooting demo.

This team could set up a course lickity-split.  One group of people were constantly blowing up balloons and handing them to horseback riders.  Then the horseback riders would race out onto the course between runs.  One team removed the old exploded balloons and their stems while the other team placed fresh balloons into the bases.  Just as the last set-up horse was coming off the course, the competitor for the next run was already making his or her circles to get up to speed.  It was a very well run demonstration, narrated by one of the riders.






They were shooting gunpowder -- not bullets.  Obviously, bullets could wind up in the audience on the bleachers.  You can see the spray of the gunpowder in the picture below.

This next horse below could have been Rock's twin.  Their heads are different, but the body shape, coloring, sock markings, dun stripe, black mane and tail are nearly identical.




They did say that some riders and their horses wear earplugs.  You can see more gunpowder spray below the smoke in the picture above.  Go, Rock's twin, go!

5 comments:

SquirrelGurl said...

One of our neighbors does mounted shooting, I thought that was the coolest. Never got to try it though, maybe someday!

I'll add it to my horse bucket list that includes our state sport- jousting!

ellie k said...

You make it feel like I was with you, such great photos and the step by step story of the events. I am in Florida and feel like I should have on my boots and jeans to even read this. But sad to say my jeans are way too small to even think about wearing. Keep up the good work for us only dreaming of these adventures.

Cut-N-Jump said...

One of the gals in the driving club from So.Cal. used to do mounted shooting in a cart with her mule. She was one of about three people nationwide who did it that way. That was wicked cool looking.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awesome photos!
And I love that gun bit, that the bay horse is wearing. Cool!

Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Fun!! Mounted shooting has been on my bucket list for a long time. I would definitely use earplugs. Guns can ruin your hearing. We use earplugs every time we go to the gun range. Great photos!! I wish I were that talented. I suck at high speed shots lol.