Monday, April 14, 2014

My First Snake Sighting of the Season

Scrappy and I almost stepped on this little guy this afternoon.



I'm blind as a bat, so I took some pictures and blew them up on my screen to research what kind of snake it might be.  I didn't find many pictures of snakes with these markings and this coloring, but there were snakes of this size and length that matched, and people were calling them Western Coachwhips.  If anyone thinks it might be something different, let me know.  It was long and thin, and difficult to see.  They say not many people spot them because they are fast and can climb trees and cactus.  This is the first time I've seen one of these.  It didn't try to get away from me, but just posed while I took pictures.

5 comments:

Cindy D. said...

Oh wow, he is a pretty thing isn't he?

I think you are correct on the name.

Crystal said...

Must be spring if the snakes are out! I have no idea we only get 3 different kinds of snakes and hes not any of them.

Cheryl Ann said...

Pretty little thing! I would have no idea what he was.
Cheryl Ann

Dina McChewer said...

We don't get many snakes in the UK. Just adders...I think.

Dina Mom

www.train-trek-england.blogspot.co.uk

achieve1dream said...

Very pretty! He has characteristics of a noon poisonous snake but I'm not sure. Never seen one like that.