Monday, May 5, 2014

A Nature Walk with Bombay

The other day my horse trainer was talking about how he feels more confident and has better control of a horse from the saddle than from the ground.  I was thinking about how it is the opposite with me.  I hand-walk my horses in the desert without ever worrying that they might get away from me and run out into the street.  If I worry about anything under those circumstances, it is that something will spook the horse and he will jump into me and either knock me down or stomp on my foot.  Fortunately, nothing like that has happened in a while.  All of my horses are good citizens on the lead rope.

I ate too much for lunch and needed to walk it off, and I was thinking about how Bombay and I used to have so much fun on our nature walks, so I asked him to come along.  I brought my new camera too to test it out a little more.  Since I was going to have my hands full with a camera in one hand and a horse in the other, I knew I wouldn't be able to keep track of my feet, so to ward off rattlesnake bites, I wore knee-high boots.

Bombay pointed out something interesting up ahead on the telephone poles.


It was our raven buddy.  I looked further down the pole and saw that he was guarding a nest.  But then he flew away and I wondered why he would leave his nest unguarded.

Looking off in the distance I saw Mom flying in.

The close up shots revealed that the raven couple has babies!  Now I know why they've been collecting so many dead animals and dropping the heads in my horse barn.

Tweet tweet!

Bombay got tired of waiting for me to get done with my bird watching, and he grabbed the other end of his lead rope and began walking himself.

He did stop to pose for some artsy fartsy photos as long as I let him graze.

The last place to shed on him is his mid-section.  You can really see the difference between his winter coat and his summer coat here.

The smallest house in the world...

...or is it?  The rest of the house is underground.  I saw the tenant come out to pick up his mail and then scurry back underground hermit-style.

Bombay asked if we were going to cross the street.

Not in these boots, boy.  Not in these boots.

Halfway through our photo shoot my Nikon Coolpix P600 locked up.  I had been turning it off, but then kept missing shots because I'd see something interesting, but would have to wait 5 seconds for it to turn back on.  So, I decided to just leave it on, and it locked up.  None of the buttons were working and I couldn't turn it off, so I had to remove the battery and put it back in to reset it.  This is the second time this has happened since I bought the camera two weeks ago.

Cactus fruit...

Saguaro blossoms...


And, yes, Bombay found himself a shiv...

...and then ate it.  But then he found himself another...

...and another.

At least he ate them all this time instead of stabbing me.  By the time we got back home, the stupid knee-high boots had rubbed blisters on every toe on each foot.  I've decided that if I can't find someone in my shoe size who will take this pair of boots off my hands, I will give them to Stewie to use as chew toys.

The Stew-Master works on a bone.

9 comments:

Ms Martyr said...

Don't give your boots to Stewie. I read in a dog training manual once not to give puppies old shoes because they can't differentiate between old and new and will chew up your good shoes also. Donate them to a charity instead.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ms Martyr - I'm aware of that. I was kidding about giving the boots to Stewie. No worries.

Cindy D. said...

what kind of boots and what size?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

They are the lighter colored boots in the bottom of this post:

http://nuzzlingmuzzles.blogspot.com/2012/12/serious-work.html

No labels. Sears special. Size 7.

Dreaming said...

I loved seeing the pictures of Bombay on your walk. What a character!

Venom said...

Nuz, I've never seen a cactus in real life nor likely to - if you have a close up of those Saguro flowers I'd sure like to see them.
Also, can you eat cactus fruit? Or do birds eat them?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Venom - I actually didn't know the answer to your questions, because I'm still learning all the names of different cacti, but I looked it up. I called that cactus a barrel cactus because it looks like a barrel, and it turned out that is the proper nickname for it. I found this article about all the different ways you can eat it:

http://www.desertortoisebotanicals.com/how-to-eat-barrel-cactus/

I'm sure birds do eat them. In fact, some birds live in the saguaros. The pictures I have of the saguaro blossoms are the best close ups I can get, because they are so tall. I'd need a ladder or have to find one with a low hanging arm to get a true macro shot.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Venom- there are some types of cactus with fruit like this that you can eat. Prickly pear cactus also not only have fruit (which they make a whole host of things out of including jam) but you can also eat the pads too. When roasted the skin will peel off and the inside is very edible. It tasted to me like green chili's without any 'heat' if that makes sense.

achieve1dream said...

Sorry the camera keeps locking up, but those pictures are awesome!! I love the baby ravens!