Monday, May 12, 2014

Body Building

This is the first year I've had to contend with ribs showing on my horses.  I've doubled their feed, but it still hasn't helped all that much, so now I am starting a lunging regimen to build muscle since trail riding at a walk isn't doing all that much to keep them fit.  Here are some pictures I got.  This is Rock throwing a fit because I asked him to lope...

He's a really lazy horse who doesn't like to run, so he's got to twist and buck to let his opinion be known.  This next one is hilarious.  He came to a screeching halt because a dust devil blew right into is path...

Then he spun away from it so fast that his tail was straight out in the air like a whip...

Bombay in all his goodness and sweetness...

He never forgets his ground training.

2 comments:

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I swear the hay was no good this winter. It all looked fine, but it sure must have been lacking something because all of my horses got ribby looking this winter too and I had to significantly up everyone's beet pulp, oats and fortified feeds AND was adding a lot of fat supplement as well. It was a morbidly expensive winter for me on the feed end. I don't expect the hay will be any better next winter either...just more expensive because of the drought. :-(

achieve1dream said...

Great pictures!!!! I love how you can see the dust devil a little in that picture with Rock stopping. I had problems with my horses weight over the winter too. Do you feed a fat supplement like rice bran? Of course you would probably have to keep it inside because it goes bad if it gets too hot... 😕