Friday, May 9, 2014

First Rattlesnake Visit of the Season

Look who I ran into when walking down to the barn to feed the horses their dinner.

She was headed toward my porch and a quail was pecking at her.  I scared the quail away, and then noticed how fat she was, which made me wonder if she had been eating well or if she was pregnant.  At first I thought she was a bull snake, because I could only see the striped tail.  But then I looked at the angular head and ran into the house to get my camera for a closer look.  She was headed away from my porch by the time I returned.

I zoomed in on the tail, and that was when I saw the rattle.

What I found interesting was that when I spoke to her, she held still, and when I walked away, she tried to get away from me.  My goal with the rattlesnakes is to let them know that my backyard is a busy place, so that hopefully they will find a better habitat out in the desert.

This was actually the second snake I saw today.  There was a long, thin, black snake slithering across the highway and I almost accidentally ran over it in my truck.  I think I swerved in time to miss it, though.  I have no idea what kind it was.  Hard to tell at 45 mph.

4 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

My son and I were driving to his house once last year and a black snake slithered across the road right in front of us. It was black racer...What are you going to do with your rattlesnake now that you've seen her?
Cheryl Ann

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cheryl Ann - I find that just because I see a rattlesnake in my yard doesn't mean it's going to live there and make babies. They are usually just passing through. I've met a lot of people who are passionate about their opinions on what to do with rattlesnakes. Some catch and release them in an uninhabited area, but I don't have many uninhabited areas around me. The "desert" I talk about is loaded with hiking and bridle trails, so there are people and animals out there. Some have known people who have nearly died from rattlesnake bites, so they kill every one they see. Ranchers kill them to save their livestock. I think my horses are fairly safe since most rattlesnakes would not risk being in the direct sunlight long enough to pass through my horse paddock on the hot sand. They go where the food is and stay undercover in the bushes most of the time to avoid being attacked by predatory birds, and there is no food nor bushes in my horse barn -- just my hay barn. We have cleared brush from the majority of our property. So, I just live and let live unless someone or something is at risk.

achieve1dream said...

Wrote how big was it? It's beautiful in a creepy way lol.

achieve1dream said...

That was supposed to say wow. I'm using a tablet instead of a keyboard and the text predict is messing me up lol.