Sunday, May 11, 2014

Gone Exploring Again

On Friday my son gave me a Mother's Day gift and went with me to explore Saguaro Lake.  On Sunday my daughter gave me a Mother's Day gift and went with me to explore Canyon Lake.  The Canyon Lake trip was unplanned.  I had been forewarned by many locals about the road up there.  It is narrow, steep, on the edge of cliffs with hairpin turns.  The speed limit was 15 mph in places.  We got lucky and spent most of the trip up and down in our own little pocket without anyone pushing from behind or blocking us in front.  Just the way I like it.

We found an interesting place to hike, so I went a couple more miles up the road to get a recreational pass from the store in Tortilla Flat.  I found some really good books on snakes and haunted places in Arizona while there.






We took three trails on our hike:  An easy one, a moderate one, and a hard one.






I found this rock outcropping that allowed me to take pictures of the lake and the dam, and decided to test out my 60x zoom by zeroing in on boaters.  I got some shots of a man on a jet ski and was embarrassed to see, when I got home and looked at the photos on my computer, that his swim trunks were falling off.  I'm not going to post those photos.  Sorry.  A guy's got to have his privacy.



Then my daughter took me out to lunch at Mickey D's (not McDonald's, but a cafe) and the owners were giving out roses to the mothers.  Then my son sent me a text asking if I received a package that his girlfriend sent.  I hadn't, but his forewarning made me pay closer attention to what was going on at the front door, and I was able to quietly sneak out the front door when the doorbell rang without the dogs noticing and making a ruckus.  My son and his girlfriend sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers!  It was a fun and relaxing day, and I definitely felt loved.

8 comments:

Dreaming said...

I've been on that road.... it starts out OK, and then gets narrower, and bumpier, and the drop offs are steeper. I wish I could have hiked around there, too.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Oh my gosh, I totally remember that road. My husband and I rode the bike up to Tortilla Flat one time (years ago now) and didn't understand why people were turning around at the end of the paved road. Then we got on that road and we were like...'Yikes'. But it was beautiful and I have always wanted to go back. I guess it will be next winter now. LOL

Glad you got some one on one time with your kids over the weekend to celebrate Mother's Day. :-)

fernvalley01 said...

sounds wonderful (except for Pants less Joe) what wise kids , took you out to do just what you like

Brenda said...

I've never gone "up" to Apache Lake and Canyon Lake on that road, but I have come down it a few times (only once as a driver) to Tortilla Flat and that road can be scary, especially if there's other drivers on it. Some of those boat-pullers speed around the turns. I wouldn't mind going to those lakes more often, but my car isn't trust-worthy enough so I go to Saguaro Lake mostly. It sounds like you had a nice Mother's Day.

lilyrose said...

That is one of my favorite drives around here. Did you go down Fish Creek Hill? Now THAT is scary, especially when there is a bunch of drivers navigating it with RVs. The drive is much more enjoyable on a weekday during the off season. Also did you try the prickly pear ice cream at the little store in Tortilla Flat? It's really good! Glad you had a nice Mother's Day.

achieve1dream said...

What a great mother's day! Your kiss are awesome.

Oh and I really want that horses and wagon decoration hehe.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

achieve1dream - Ha ha! Your tablet's autospell feature did it again. I know you meant that my "kids" are awesome.

achieve1dream said...

LOL!! I didn't notice that! I'm usually better about proofreading hehe. :D