Monday, May 12, 2014

It's Hard To See, But...

...there's a rattlesnake coiled up next to a rock in this picture from my trail ride this afternoon.

It's toward the top of the picture, slightly left of center.  It blended in really well.  I rode right past it, but P.S. spotted it.  She knows how excited I get about snakes, so we had to ride back so I could see it too.

I was riding Lostine and we were short on time, so we just took a short ride out and back.  I was hoping for a nice quiet ride with no incidents so that Gabbrielle could get her confidence back after having so many bad spooks recently, but it was late enough in the afternoon that the kids were out of school and people were coming home from work, and as a result, we ran into three horseback riders and a man with several large dogs.  Gabbrielle was nervous, but she didn't bolt.  P.S. kept her mind and feet busy.  Lostine started walking backwards, which is her M.O. when she's nervous about something, but the spurs got her moving forward again.  Lostine was acting like she was crippled until we turned around for home, and then suddenly she had no problem keeping a solid pace.



3 comments:

Brenda said...

I kept looking and looking for the snake. Tried enlarging the image. Couldn't see the darn thing. You said it was near the top, slightly off to the left but when I enlarged it I had a hard time pinpointing center so I thought I'd use the rock for reference. Ooops. The rock IS the snake. Hahaha. It looks kind of small. Maybe a younger one? That's pretty cool!

Sam said...

I'm catching up on blogs - the hospital internet is a little sketchy. I'm looking forward to riding with you again in the fall, but really enjoyed catching up on your adventures. I'm missing my horses something terrible!

Monty and Harlow

Crystal said...

Im behind too, that snake is really tiny, wow but he is there. we have very few rattlers here, but we did see a garter snake cross the road yesterday