Sunday, June 8, 2014

Got Taken to the Dump

I wanted to ride Bombay today in my Tucker trail saddle, but with Rock's saddle pad to check out the sweat pattern.  The pad I usually use with the Tucker trail saddle absorbs all the sweat.  Bombay is 16-years-old now, so the topography of his back is changing and I want to make sure everything is still copacetic in the saddle fitting department.

P.S. and I headed across the street and my neighbor was out washing his wife's car.  The horses' heads popped up when they spotted him, but they didn't spook.  Once out on the trails, Bombay was being a Looky Lou, so I kept correcting him to pay attention to following the trail.  He wanted to bushwhack to the right for some reason.

We turned to ride alongside a road, and someone blew a really loud truck horn.  I looked back and saw a pick up truck driving toward us.  I don't know if he was honking at us or someone he knew, because there were other cars passing, or if it was a firetruck honking at the fire house, but it was loud.  The horses flicked their ears in that direction, but didn't spook.  I think I caught the moment of the honk in this photo...

This was the last photo I got of me on Bombay's back.

We headed down into this ditch that has a lot of bushes and cactus, and Bombay took off trotting.  Usually, he walks downhill and trots uphill, and then slows to a walk at the top of the hill, but this time he was breaking into a canter.  I couldn't do a one-rein stop without running him into bushes and cactus, so I pulled back on both reins.  I thought I was pulling back gently, but Bombay just exploded and launched me out of the saddle.

I could hear him bucking beside me as I hit the ground.  P.S. said he did keep bucking a while after I fell, which is usually a sign that either he's out of his mind with fear or he's being jabbed by something sharp.  He definitely wasn't being jabbed by anything sharp, so I guess that honk did make him come unglued a little bit, and then going down into bushy ditch where he couldn't see what lurked on either side of the trail pushed him over the edge.

I try to tuck and roll when I fall, but because I got thrown so fast, I didn't have any control over my body and my left foot hit the ground first, then the rest of my weight followed in the wrong direction, so I hyper-extended my knee.  I got up and collected Bombay who snorted and jumped away from me when I first reached for him.  You can see me catching him upside down and off in the distance in this photo...

I limped back home and it wasn't until we got all the way back to the barn that I realized I no longer had my helmet cam attached to my helmet.  P.S. offered to jump on my bike and ride back out quickly to get it before some hikers came along and collected it.


Thankfully, she got to it before anyone else did.  She said it really blew a ways off my head, because it wasn't anywhere near where I fell.  I vaguely remember seeing something odd that looked like trash off in the distance, and I guess that was it.

The sweat pattern showed that the Tucker trail saddle is a little too wide for Bombay's back, so I can only use it on him with the thicker saddle pad.  I lunged Bombay at the gallop for a while to let him know that bucking off his rider is not going to lead to him going back to the barn to eat and be with his buddies right away.  When I uploaded the photos from the camera, there were a whole bunch of pictures of the sun in the sky.

10 comments:

TeresaA said...

ouch! I hope that your knee is okay!

Brenda said...

Wow. I hope your knee is okay. It sounds like his spook may have been a combination of the truck horn honking and you pulling back on the reins since he didn't spook right when the horn sounded. Of course, I'm no expert.

I'm glad P.S. was able to find your camera and hopefully it wasn't too damaged.

Ian H said...

That's what happened on my last ride on Alpine, ever. The cause was unknown, but I woke up on the driveway with Brooklyn head butting me and licking my face. Good dog!

Sam said...

Oh my gosh! I hope you are okay. Good thing you had P.S. with you. Do you think the saddle was bothering him?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Today I feel like I got hit by a truck. I got whiplash. My neck and knee are stiff. My husband gave me his knee brace, because now when I take a step, the muscles at the back of my knee can't keep my knee from hyper-extending again.

I have multiple ideas about the cause, and I think it was one of those situations were a bunch of little things added up. I was questioning the positioning of the bit in his mouth before the ride, because I've had two different horse trainers give me different instructions on where to hook the bridle up to that particular bit, and it didn't look right where it was sitting. Secondly, I did turn around in shock at the sound of the honk and P.S. and I made some irritated comments about the honker, when we probably shouldn't have reacted at all. Thirdly, Gabbrielle hesitated before going into that ditch, alerting Bombay that something scary might be down there. I pushed Bombay ahead to pass her to show her there was nothing to fear, but apparently, he didn't agree with me. Fourthly, I had a bigger, heavier water bottle than usual in the water bottle bag and it was hanging low by Bombay's shoulder. I'm sure that when he started trotting, it was banging up against him pretty hard, thus convincing him that something in that ditch was attacking him.

I've decided that, in the future, I don't care if I have to run him into bushes and cactus to do the one-rein stop.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ouch!!
I'm so sorry you experienced an unplanned dismount. I hope you heal quickly.

Lisa

Cut-N-Jump said...

Ouch!

fernvalley01 said...

Yup, OUCH! hope you are feeling better soon

achieve1dream said...

Ouch!!!! I hope you are okay! What a crappy way to end a ride. I hate when I can't pinpoint the exact reason for a horse bucking.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, ouch! I'm a week behind reading blogs, so I'm just now getting to yours. I hope you are okay...I had to get through the last week of school.
Cheryl Ann