Friday, June 27, 2014

In the Meantime

I've been so caught up in taking care of the horses' hay and hooves that I swiped my own health off to the sidelines.  You remember when I said I was passing a kidney stone a couple of weeks ago?  Well, that turned into cystitis, so now I am on Cipro to kill all the bacteria in my system.  I haven't had a UTI since I was in high school, but back then I was even more clueless and I let the infection reach my kidneys and had to be vomiting violently and pissing on myself simultaneously before I suggested to my mom that she might want to take me to the hospital.

I have memories of my mother racing around the city taking me to hospital after hospital, and we kept getting turned away because we had crappy health insurance.  So, there I was outside of one hospital emergency room vomiting in the bushes, because no one would help me or let me use their restroom.  Ah, those were the days.

Stewie apparently has been having sympathy pains and has been peeing on the bed and the carpet all day long.  I just love doing laundry and scrubbing carpets when my bladder feels like it is going to catch on fire and explode.

When I was playing with him, I bent over to give him a hug, and he jumped up onto his hind legs, hitting the bridge of my nose with the top of his head, and now my nose is cracked and has a bump.  I didn't realize how bad it was until I tried wearing a pair of reading glasses.

Since I'm on a roll with illnesses and injuries, I've decided to take it easy this weekend and avoid doing anything that could lead to more trouble.  Hopefully, the dogs and horses will cooperate and let me get some rest.  If they do, it will be a first.

Of course, now that it is imperative that I drink lots of water, our ice maker broke... on a Friday night when we can't get anyone in to repair it until Monday.  Awesome.  I guess we will have to make ice the old fashioned way, but I'll have to get out of bed and go into town to find ice trays or to buy ice.

Sometimes I wish a doctor could just put me to sleep or induce a coma when I need to rest and recover, because merely needing to stay in bed is always a guarantee that I will end up running all over the place handling problems.  But I'd rather be dealing with a broken ice maker than a horse with a hoof abscess or diabetic epileptic dog with a fever of 105 and pancreatitis, which is what I dealt with the last two times I was supposed to be in bed recovering from a health challenge.

Of course, I'll recover either way.  It just would be nice to occasionally be able to take care of myself without something more important and unexpected sending me into a tail spin.  Whatever happened to having a mundane, uneventful existence?  I could really use a little of that right now.  Having everything bad happen all at once is getting old.

I wish I had the skill and talent to be a cartoonist, because I would draw a cartoon of me standing behind a deli counter in a hospital gown with a thermometer sticking out of my mouth pointing at a TAKE A NUMBER sign while a bunch of characters are lined up with labels on them that read, "Broken Ice Maker", "Dog with UTI", "Son's Birthday Coming Up Fast", "Horse with Face Injury", "Different Horse with Hoof Injury", "No Food in Fridge", and so on.

5 comments:

ellie k said...

When our ice maker broke I froze half gallon juice boxes of ice then took the hammer and beat the ice up and pour it into a bowl to put in the freezer, it makes quite a bit of ice. Our ice maker is still not working but I did get some trays now and just make ice. We need a new frig and I don't want to put money in this one. I read your blog and sometimes my heart hurts for you and so many things that seem to pass through your days. Get well, drink lots of water.

Semi Feral Equestrian said...

Feel better soon! I am new to your blog, but am enjoying your pictures you shared. :)

achieve1dream said...

Ugh that sucks!!! I hope you feel better soon. Can you just put a pitcher of water in the fridge? I don't like ice in my drinks so that's what I do. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the animals and everything else leaves you alone so you can recover.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I looks like my husband may have fixed the ice maker himself. I always keep tumblers of water in the fridge, but Arizona is so hot that the second you take them out, they are at room temperature. Then they get hot if they sit out a while. I did try putting a tumbler in the freezer for just a little bit, but it instantly froze over.

achieve1dream said...

Oh wow I didn't think about that!! I'm glad he was able to fix it for you.