Sunday, June 29, 2014

It Just Fell In Their Laps

I had to get out of bed to take the dogs outside to do their business while my husband was sleeping, and while out there I noticed that Rock was pressing his chest up against the gate with his neck arched and ears forward, looking off toward the far side of our property.  Usually, that means someone is passing through on horseback, because he gets really excited about seeing strange horses.  This time a Mylar balloon came skipping along the ground dragging its tail behind it straight toward Rock.  Gabbrielle snorted and ran off, Bombay froze and stared, and Lostine was bored with the whole thing.  She just wanted her dinner.

I watched, hoping that the balloon would hop right into the barn without my assistance, but it got caught on a bush.  So, I put the dogs away and went out to give the balloon a nudge, but the breeze was too strong and the balloon was getting away from me and going in the wrong direction, so I had to desenstize the horses to it myself.  I see these balloons alongside the trails quite often, so releasing them into the sky must be a popular activity around here.

The horror!

Here they are in flight formation...

Wait a minute... Rock thinks this might actually be something fun to play with...


When in doubt, poke it with your nose...

Bombay and Gabbrielle...

Maybe if we huddle together and not look at it, then it will go away.

I let Rock hold the string in his mouth and shake it around...


...until he started eating the string.  Then he lost his independent balloon time privileges.

I tied the balloon to a railing...


...but it slipped loose and blew away.

Bye bye, balloon.

5 comments:

achieve1dream said...

What fun!!! I need to find a balloon. That's one thing I don't think I've ever desensitized Chrome with. It would have been so funny if you had tied the balloon to Rock's fly mask so he could scare the other horses with it LOL!!!! That is so wrong, but so funny. :D

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I actually contemplated tying it to Rock's tail, but then the poor guy would be turning in circles to follow it.

Semi Feral Equestrian said...

I need a balloon for the semi feral filly now! Seems like something she'd be into.

Although, like Rock, she'd probably try to eat it. Anything that fits in her mouth is up for grabs, I think.

:)

Thanks for sharing!

Crystal said...

haha Rock is too funny. Love his curiosity!!

Hannah said...

Haha, love this! :)