Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Riding With a Stone

No, not Rock.  A stone.  Yes, I did ride our horse Rock, but I rode with a stone.

I had a hard time staying awake this past weekend.  I slept all night, then all afternoon, then all night, and when Midge woke me in the morning making retching noises, I sprung up out of bed only to discover that I had no equilibrium and I crashed into the wall.  Vertigo.  My husband told me to take my blood pressure, and it was 100 over 60.  I figured the reading was faulty, but the low reading did support my lack of ability to stay awake or upright.  I got better as the day wore on and after I had a couple of cups of coffee, but then I realized that my body was trying to pass a kidney stone.  I remembered moments of shooting pains in my lower back and sides, but the pain went away just as quickly as it came, so I didn't think much of it at the time.  Right now the stone is stuck in my urethra, so I'm drinking like crazy to try to flush it out.

In the meantime, I went trail riding, hoping that would jostle it loose.  These two helicopters came racing out of the horizon and when they spotted us on horseback, the pilots actually turned so that they would fly right over the top of us.  I've had that happen several times before when I've been either ground working horses or riding horses, and it's really starting to piss me off.  The horses handled it okay, but it's just plain rude to invade people's space like that.

My friend and I were trying to carry on a conversation and we couldn't hear each other over the sound of rotors.  I'm thinking there needs to be a book written on pilot etiquette and anyone seeking to earn a pilot's license should be required to read it.  I understand that people who fly think they are cool and powerful to be up there above the rest of the world controlling a big machine, but that doesn't give them the right to dive-bomb horseback riders or spy on people in their backyards.  I've had people buzz me (or practically give me a buzz cut) in helicopters, planes, motorized parachutes, and hot air balloons, and they really don't impress me.  I just find their behavior to be obnoxious, immature, and annoying.

I made it twice as far as the last ride, but my ankle was hurting by the time we got back to the barn.  A local saddle shop offers special deals and runs an auction on Facebook, and I occasionally get dibs on something the owner offers.  One of the more popular deals is what I call a "bucket of fun".  She puts various goodies into a bucket and you can take home everything for $15.  Usually, the buckets alone are around $15, so everything you get with it comes free.  I got a bucket that contained two bottles of Pyranha shampoo, a bottle of Pyranha fly spray, a $20 bottle of Vetericyn opthalmic gel, a handful of syringes, and some leather conditioning spray.

I swear by Pyranha fly spray, so I thought I'd try the shampoo.  It actually has some fly deterrent in it.  P.S. and I shampooed all the horses with it, and I noticed that right away the flies would approach them, but then stay off them.  Gabbrielle was not happy about being sprayed by the hose.  She pulled back on the lead rope and managed to tighten the knot on her rope halter so thoroughly that we couldn't get it off.  I put detangler gel on the knot and worked it for a while, and was eventually able to loosen it by pushing the ends toward the knot.

Now all the horses are clean smelling, shiny, and fly free.  I'm sure it won't last long.  Once I get my energy back, it's the dogs' turn next.  The ride didn't break up my kidney stone, so I'm back to drinking things that will make me pee, and peeing is no easy feat when it is well over 100 degrees outside.  Your body wants to absorb every liquid you swallow, and nothing comes out the other end.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

yuck! I have never had a kidney stone and hope I never do.
That sounds like an awesome deal on the buckets, I like trying new stuff and so want to wash my ponies but its been such a cold summer here, maybe you could send me some warmth up.
I agree that is rude of pilots to do that, we have a few neighbors with pilots licence and they are pretty considerate, but of course they are ranchers too and they know not to buzz horses or yards either so I think that helps a lot.

achieve1dream said...

Yikes!!!! That is awful about the kidney stone! I hope it passes really soon so you can get some relief. :( I hope you didn't get hurt when you fell into the wall. I've had that happen where my blood pressure dropped and I hit the wall but we had concrete stucco walls... ouch!

Those buckets of fun sound awesome! I wish my feed store did something like that. :D

fernvalley01 said...

ouch! hope you are better soon.Never had a helicopter do that here. I think I would be pretty peeved too

ellie k said...

Since the planes are so low I think I would get the names and numbers from them and report it to your local airport. They would be able to trace them and find out what they think they are doing. Hope you feel better soon. I know pain and know it can stop life at times and you just have to crawl back in bed for a few hours or days. Take care of yourself.

achieve1dream said...

How are you doing? I hope you're feeling better!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

achieve1dream - I'm okay. Thanks. If it were a normal sized stone, it would have been a lot worse. This was just a little tiny irritation. I think I passed it.

Cheryl Ann said...

Hubby once had a kidney stone and he was crawling on the floor in the doctor's office...he was in so much pain! He finally passed his and was fine.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cheryl Ann - That's how kidney stones are most of the time -- worse than giving birth. That's why this one was so odd. It only hurt when it moved, and then left a slight soreness the rest of the time. Mine must have been tiny, but even the ones that hurt like crazy are really small.