Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Wild Life

My knee was feeling better on Tuesday, and I was planning on trail riding today, but the fluid from my knee drained down to my calf and ankle, and they swelled up, preventing me from being able to flex my ankle or take a step without pain.  As the day wore on, the pain got worse.  I pulled up my pant leg and found a big bruise and hematoma on my calf, as if someone implanted a lemon between my muscle and skin.  I didn't even injure my calf, so this is just blood moving around.

We had a really lovely evening with clouds and cooler temperatures, so I went outside with my camera and photographed the sights while the water troughs filled and the horses munched on hay.







This is the answer to Christine's question on whether we have quail in our hay barn.  I'm sure this is what the rattlesnake has been after.





When I am on one of my photography expeditions, I tend to go into a trance.  My brain shifts into this mode where I start assessing light and angles and whatnot.  I was aware of several of my neighbors coming outside and yelling words.  I didn't know if they were yelling to me or not, but I figured if they had something important to say, they could walk over and talk to me instead of yelling at me.  It's too bad the best pictures are taken at sunrise and sunset, because it's impossible for me to get any alone time then.

There weren't as many animals as usual around because all the neighbors were out scaring them away.  There are certain situations where it is best to leave a person alone.  I've talked about not bothering someone who is fishing in past posts, because fisherman need it to be quiet and still in order to catch fish.  I can remember countless times when my father chastised me as a child for casting a shadow over his fishing hole, or for climbing around on rocks and accidentally knocking some into the water.  Wildlife photography is very much the same way, so if you see someone photographing nature, cut them a wide berth and keep quiet so that you don't scare their subjects away.

3 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

Interfering neighbors or not, you get some really beautiful pictures of the wildlife! Wow!

achieve1dream said...

Wow those photos are so gorgeous. Every single one could be a post card. I wish we were neighbors so you could teach me some tricks hehe! I hope you and your husband both feel better soon.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, I LOVE your wildlife photos! They make me want to go to Arizona this summer!
Cheryl Ann