Thursday, July 10, 2014

Perservering

I had a trail ride scheduled with a friend and was so happy to wake up to a cooler, cloudy, but not windy or rainy day.  You don't get many comfortable trail riding weather days in the summer in Arizona, so you have to grab them when they come.  Unfortunately, one of my more disruptive health problems kicked into high gear and I had to start medicating myself just so that I could get out the door.  It turned out that my trail riding buddy was sick too and had to cancel.  But I knew we wouldn't have weather and cooler temperatures like this in a while, so as soon as the medication took effect, I headed down to the barn.

I have to keep reminding myself that even when I am ill, I always feel so much better after working with a horse.  Of course, by the time I tacked up and mounted for the ride, the clouds dissipated and the sun was blasting down on us.

Rock showed some minor signs of being barn sour after a few weeks of being off duty.  He was a sloth heading out.  I didn't bring my spurs because the last few times I rode him, he was going faster than I wanted.  This time without my spurs I had to keep kicking and clucking and kicking and clucking to get him to move his feet at a pace faster than that of a tortoise.  Part of the way out I realized that I never texted my husband to let him know I was trail riding by myself.  I didn't want to have to ride back to the house, get my reading glasses and some shade where the phone screen is out of the glare in order to text him, so I just kept riding.

On the way home I had to keep reminding him to slow down to a walk, and he'd turn his head and look at me as if to say, "I know, Mom.  I'm trying.  I'm just so excited to be going back to the shade of the barn, the water troughs, the Nibble Nets, and my herd."

Both Rock and I were dripping from head to toe with sweat.  I wished I could have gotten out there just an hour earlier.

After all of Rock's efforts to turn and rush back home, once we reached the trail head to the street, he wanted to turn on another trail and head back out into the desert again.  Fickle horse.  Doesn't know what he wants.  I think he's tired of being bored in the barn, but he also doesn't care for the extreme heat with no relief when we are on the trails.  I'm the same way.  I look out the windows of my air conditioned house and think, "What a nice day.  I should get out and get some exercise."  Then after just five minutes of being outside, I'm heaving to catch my breath and clutching my chest as I stagger back to the house.

No one was out there except the lizards, and the plane, helicopter, and flock or birds that banked just right in order to fly directly over us.  I did stop to watch the plane, because it looked so futuristic.  It was the most modern design I've seen yet.  I have witnessed plane crashes before, and knew someone who was in a helicopter crash, and another person who was on the high-jacked plane that hit the first tower on 9/11, so I always get a little anxious when I see pilots joy riding above me and my horse.  Every time a pilot does that, I try to convince my horse that he's so gorgeous that the pilot had to fly his craft way down low to get a closer look at his beauty.

Rock knows that I like to dismount over the pile of old hay, so if I lose my balance and fall, I will fall on something springy and soft.  I've been known to lose my equilibrium and land on my rump a few times when dismounting.  It's not that I don't know how to dismount.  It's just that I'm getting old.  However, today he decided that he wanted to eat that old pile of hay, so as soon as I swung my leg over, he walked around with me lying across the saddle on my stomach until he found a spot to graze on.  Then I slid down.

Picking loose hair off the cinch...

Just a wee bit sweaty...

Oh yeah.  My new farrier is a bit of an expert on the Paint horse breed, and she is 100% sure that Rock is a Paint, and about 90% sure that he's Breeding Stock Paint.  So, I guess I will have to stop calling him our Quarter Horse and start calling him our Paint.  I just think it's so awesome to have a Paint that is also a line-back dun, and he has such a rich, lush, long tail that it drags on the ground -- and I can't forget to mention his bobby socks, kind eye, and the cutest butt on earth.

In other news, I wrote the last line to my novel in progress yesterday.  Of course, the phone had to ring right when I was literally typing the last sentence and it was a call I had to answer, so I had to leave the final sentence half written, and when I finished the phone conversation, I could not remember the words I had previously chosen.  So, now I get to go into editorial mode and start making changes and repairs while reading through the manuscript.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Yay about finishing your novel!!

I think it would be pretty hard to tell the difference between a quarter horse and a paint, they are pretty much the same breed (as a paint started out with mostly outcropped qh with too much white) But it is possible I spose. Dont matter breed hes just cool :)

Sam said...

Congrats on finishing your novel! I'm hoping to get out and ride next week. I'm so weak from being hospitalized I'm not sure I will be able to step up on a Friesian. Thank goodness there is Maggie. :)

Monty and Harlow

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Please take it easy and gather your strength slowly. It's just too easy to get injured when you've had to be in bed as long as you have. I'm sure Maggie will take good care of you.

achieve1dream said...

Congrats on finishing your novel! Do you like the editing process? I can't stand it! I think that's why I've never published one because I hate going back to finish them lol. I need to hire an editor someday when I have some spare cash. :)

I'm the exact same way you are looking outside and thinking what a pretty day it is then going outside and thinking I'm going to die. I'm so OVER summer! I'm tired of the bugs (for me and Chrome) and I don't handle the heat as well as I used to. I hope fall comes early this year.

I'm glad you were able to get out and ride! I hope you are feeling better. :)

fernvalley01 said...

Congrats on finishing your novel, and also for getting out there and riding even when you felt a little under the weather. I cannot fathom riding in that heat!