Thursday, July 3, 2014

Thursday Skies

We finally got something besides sunshine...




A dust storm moving in...




I discovered the documentary Wild Horse, Wild Ride on Netflix today.  As soon as I saw Extreme Wylene Wilson speak and perform, I had to look her up.  She used to live and train horses in my area, but unfortunately she relocated out of state.  I'll have to attend the next clinic she offers in these parts.  My two favorite scenes in this documentary were when Wylene talked about riding her wild mustang to Taco Bell in Queen Creek after only a few days of training under saddle, and when Kris Kokal, another competitor in the Extreme Mustang Makeover Challenge, blindfolded his wild mustang and rode it at a lope through an obstacle course.  I think it is safe to say that horse totally trusted his trainer.

I kept hearing one name mentioned in the documentary and recognized it, but wasn't sure from where.  Then I realized I had met Lanny Leach at the equine festival I recently attended.  He's a good horse and cow dog training resource for those of you in the Tucson area.  This makes the sixth or seventh time now that I have turned on the TV and saw someone I've met in person recently on some kind of show.  The world can't really be that small, can it?

8 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Great pictures! I saw Wylene Wilson a couple years ago and the Mane Event , quite the gal! Playing catch up here, sorry you have been ill again hope you are on the mend now

redhorse said...

Wylene and 4 other trainers are also featured in a Nat Geo Wild 3 part documentary called "Mustang Millionaire." I don't know if it's on Netflix.

Cheryl Ann said...

I awoke this morning to humidity and yes, CLOUDS! I'm SO excited! Beautiful capture of the rainbow!
Cheryl Ann

Sam said...

Isn't it great? Wylene has been around for years and of course meeting Lanny this year was wonderful. I think it just goes to show that the horse community is either small, or people are getting better at getting connected.

Crystal said...

Wow clouds! and a rainbow, I love rainbows.
Pretty cool to see all them on TV that you've met recently. I think the horse world really is a small one.

Semi Feral Equestrian said...

Beautiful pictures.

It's amazing how much trainers can progress in the mustang competitions.

I saw that documentary and Wylene's looked pretty incredible.

I have known a few of the horses through the Mustang Challenges and a friend adopted one...very interesting situation, LOL.

Thanks for sharing.

achieve1dream said...

Those pictures are gorgeous!! Wow!!!

Dang I wish I still had netflix.. I'll have to see if I can find that documentary somewhere else.

Cut-N-Jump said...

I knew of Wylene back when she was a kid riding at P&M. Her mom Janiece (sp?)was barking instructions from the rail as Wylene, Wynda and I can't remember the third girls name for the life of me right now.

Janiece was a pool of good info back then for a bunch of teenagers that thought we knew better about what we were doing.