Sunday, August 17, 2014

One More Toad Hit the Road

We're continuing to have problems with toads this summer.  The wildlife problems here tend to cycle, and each year is different from the year before.  Each time the weather changes, I think, "Which animal is going to be a pain in my butt for the next few weeks or months this time?"

If we forget to close the garage door before it gets dark outside, the toads make a beeline for it.  I used to try to get the dogs to chase them out when I had them on leash and could stop the dogs before they put their mouths on the poisonous toads, but the toads have learned fast and know that dogs on leashes are nothing worth heeding.  Then I tried catching the toads with with gloves on my hands and carrying them outside, but in the time it took me to get the outside, they'd pee all over me.  Then I tried sweeping them out, which works as long as they don't go deeper into the garage to avoid the broom, and find a hiding spot.

They have a lot of nooks and crannies they can hop into to get away from me.  If they slip into one of those, they are stuck spending the night in my garage, and I am stuck having to clean up all of their gigantic turds and sticky pee puddles.

Last night one got away from me and hid behind a heavy piece of furniture.  A lot of times if they aren't smart enough to hop outside once the garage door is opened again, they will dry up and die in my garage.  Then I have to clean up dead toad too, not just its relentless pee and feces.

A couple of nights ago something was tapping on our back door and Stewie kept growling.  I turned on the porch light and looked outside, but saw nothing.  Then I opened the door to find a large praying mantis stuck to it.

This morning I thought Midge's stomach was heaving as I was attaching the dogs' leashes to take them out through the garage.  But each time I heard the odd sound, she wasn't moving.  I realized that the thudding was coming from the other side of the garage door.  I wondered if my husband forgot to close the garage door and we were being robbed.  But I didn't have time to investigate because first thing in the morning if the dogs don't go straight outside, they'll relieve themselves inside.  I decided that if there were burglars in the garage, I'd release the dogs on them to chase them off.

I opened the door to the garage and the dogs charged out, but no one was there.  As I turned to close the door behind us, I saw one of those huge toads hopping inside the house.  Argh!  My hands were full with three dogs on leashes, so I couldn't pick it up, but I wasn't willing to let it soil my house and hide behind furniture all day, so I punt kicked it out of the house and back into the garage.  Amazingly, the dogs were so focused on relieving themselves that they didn't even notice this toad flying right past them.

Once the dogs were done with their business, I grabbed my gloves.  By the time I opened the door to the garage to hunt down the toad, it had returned to throwing itself against the door and it was trying to hop right past me inside our house a second time.  The toad put up a fight and tried hard to escape me, but there was no way I was going to let any toad with that much gall get away.  I scooped him up and carried him outside.  He was already pumping his gut and peeing all over my gloves.  I held him way out in front of me so that it wouldn't dribble down my clothes, and I released him.

I'm sure I'll see him again soon.

5 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

OMG! Life is never dull, is it?

Dreaming said...

Oh, I wish I could have seen you (Don Quixote) doing battle against the toad!
Who would think that toads could presnt such a problem. I've always thought of them as being rather innocuous little critters.
Anyway, I am now humming the opening chords of the music from Man of La Mancha . It will keep me marching forward all day!

Laura Lee said...

It's definitely been an odd summer weather-wise and creature-wise. Lots of bugs and 've never seen so many green frogs--they aren't a problem but they are abundant where I live this summer.

TeresaA said...

is it wrong that I'm laughing at the visual of flying toads?

I have toads in my barn (1-2) but they don't cause the ruckus that your's seem to. Canadian toads must be different.

achieve1dream said...

OMG I am laughing so hard at the visual of you punt kicking a toad!!!!! The scary thing is the he didn't seem fazed by it at all!